Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at possibly Picking up a smaller wheeler to fit on some of the tighter trails compared to my 73 chev longbed. And several of my buddies back home where i grew up ran yota's so I just wana know what year models to keep my eyes open for as far as best overall

best over all solid axle yota.....???

and best over all independent before 97 ?????? i say 97 to keep $$ down

thanks for any help

·
Registered
379 Posts
1985 in my opinion was or is the best since it was a straight axle as well as injected.....but I have one so I may be full of s#it

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
I agree 85, fuel injected with the solid axle, but i also have one, but wait i didnt keep any toyota drivetrain, oh well:beer:

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
'85 was the las tyear fo the solid axle and also the first year that you could get the fuel injection. Still the majority out ther have the carb. For ease of modification that would be the best bet. Now thta being said, '86-94 already has the correct steeing for crossover adn there are a number of companies that sell SAS conversion kits so it is not as big of a deal to convert it anymore. '95 started the Taco and to be honest I am not as familiar with these. There are very few '86 and up that are not EFI. That gives them an advntage.
I used to run my '82 with no difficulty until I got to rather steep inclines with no problems so it really depends upon what you are wanting to do. Realize thta the 22re is not a powerhouse, but it will live forever.

·
Registered
18 Posts
'84-'85. '85 being better because of fuel injection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts