Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides hiring a hot latin maid:smokin:

So I have been thinking about this alot lately. I want to develop another marketable skill in the workplace. I feel I am pretty competent in what I do, but I want to be able to stand out more. Plus, lets face it, more and more spanish people around all the time. Without getting into a big debate about language and culture, I have decided to learn the spanish language.
By this time next year I would like to be able to read and write well enough to pass the drivers licence test in spanish.

Meow, I would like to know what is the best way to learn. Tapes? classes? workbooks? a combination of all? I know that imersing myself in the language and culture is the best, but I don't want to work at a taco wagon (did that sound racist???:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: )

any thoughts???

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ok, don't start with the Meow thing meow. My boyfriend, Rocky (mistermud) has that on his voicemail on his cell phone - I can't get to the phone right Meow, leave me a message meow blah blah blah. You should call and listen to it Chris - it's pretty funny.

Anyhow - on the Spanish thing - I have found with that type of thing that Classes and hands on have helped the best.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
i know how to ask for a beer and directions to the bathroom.....that is all i ever thought i would need.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Not a bad idea. If you switch to German, I can help you out a little.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I took 4 years of espanol y dos anos do Francais; no recuerdo nada. Pues, tu necessitas libros yo tengo un libro en Chicago.

I recommend doing a mixture of all media to see which works best for you. Books work okay if you're good at memorizing vocabulary. Getting the words all hooked up right is harder to learn out of the book though. For that get tapes and CD ROMS. We also did videos, watching a segment and then writing in english what transpired.

I think i still have my spanish book if you'd like it. Workbooks are gone though, they got burned at an end of the school year celebration. I'll dig through and see what I got.

Trailfox

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
If you want to learn spanish you need to go and hang around the Taco wagons. You need to break out of your comfort zone. You can get the tapes, books and computer cd's. This will give you a 3rd grade spanish level. Once you start don't stop. Get spanish Literture and read, read , read. You will need to go and talk to spanish people not white people who know spanish. Why do I say this because all white people who learned spanish in the public schools learn Spain spanish. You need to talk to people from Columbia, Mexico, Perto rico, you get the point. Every different culture has some caviot to the basic spanish languge. That is how you learn a language. If you just want to ask where the bathroom is and order your next beer, then ya the tapes will work for ya. My wife is Latin so spanish is quite common in my house as can all of my friends attest too. We have people from all over the latin world at our house alot. I can tell you all three of my kids will be bi lingual if not Tri lingual. I applaud you for wanting to exspand your skills. Buena Suerte, y no para por nada.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I was going to say just get a job at any restaurant, but in the kitchen. You beat me to it.

My brother joined the airforce, qualified for linguistics and is learning Chinese. He has one year to master it and two years of service in action. Then he can reenlist and take another language. I would think that or take a belated mormon mission to Central America.:shocked: Cant think of any more catering ways to learn. I took three years of espanol in High School and two in college and I would still get made fun of by the cooks when I worked at Louies. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Hook up with a hispanic woman, Oh, wait, I guess that didn't work for me.

Word to the wise,
While gato means jack (lifting type) and cat, gata means cat also, but in Panama, they take that pussy cat (but without the cat). Didn't quite work right in my conversation with the mother in law. :what: took a long time to stop hearing about that one.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
You better take a trip to Mazatlan or some other hot spot and get immersed in the language!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
come get a job where I work, there's only about 200 illeagel mexicant's working there

on a side note if you just add "el" to the front of the word or "o" to the end you will be good to go. Or if you want to really blend in add them both

Examples
English: Where is the toilet
Mexican: El-where-o is-o el-the-o el-toilet-o?

English: where can I get two tickets to the donky show
Mexican El-where can-o IZO ghetto el-two-o El-ticket-o to-o el-the-o El-burro show-o

:beer:

·
Registered
120 Posts
ill teach you spanish. ill start with the important stuff first

donde esta el bano ? ........ Where is the bathroom

un mas cervesa porfavor.......... one more beer please

que te ines un frajo.......... where are the smokes at

de montequea esta mi pantalones con queso....... the butter is in my

pants with cheese

mmmmm..... cheese:drool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts