Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was in harbor freight the other day and saw a hand bender for $55 are these worth the trouble. tag said it would bend .250x2 tube.(bet that takes a pretty long handle) Most I think that I would use is .120 only for small projects here and there. Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i built a go cart, and used one of those worked pretty good took a lot of strength, loved the hydrulic one we bought instead, my grandma sold them soon after the shop was shut down....

·
Registered
379 Posts
they work well BUT if you bend anything past a 45 the tube will start to flatten.. my buddy said something about filling the tube with sand before bending to stop it from flattening but I think he was smoking something...even if it did work it would be such a pain in the a55 ...why bother just make your bends longer or radiused over a longer length and bty I paid over 100 for mine before it walked away

·
Registered
308 Posts
What bender do people recomend?

·
Registered
379 Posts
well how much do you want to spend? how much tubing can you afford to practice on? how strong are you? if you spend money on a good bender you would be committed to bending alot of tube for your buddys to help offset the price of it. you would be committed.. I am lucky I have a buddy that lets me use his at his shop...but in my opinion it is a hassle and his isnt hydraulic nor is it fastened to the floor like it is supposed to be. when I started bending some tube a few weeks ago for my cage we started with 20ft lengths which meant that we had to move everything 20ft out of the way of the tubing while I was bending it :darn: 6 hours later I drove home with my cage tacked into place. I wish I had more time to have done it better, added more stuff but it serves it's purpose. thats my experience...but if you look at the real rat finks exo on his toyota he did all of his with a harbor freight bender and I think it looks good ....it's really your call :beer:

·
Registered
379 Posts
yup thats the one i used it was a back breaker even with a 4ft cheater bar

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
the mounting post doesnt come with it ...you will have to make your own:darn:

·
Registered
308 Posts
the bender it'self isn't too bad. Thats a good price for that one, I haven't been able to matfch it, but how much are the dies? I was thinkin about just a cheap harbor freight, but what about doing multiple bends with one?

·
Registered
397 Posts
one thing to if your going to buy a good bender call steve at CBI he has bent a couple of things before probably knows a thing or three about bending....

call AJ see what he can get you for a Bender he is the parts whore of southeastern idaho....

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Andrew on here took a manual one and put a hydraulic ram on it with an electric pump. It works great. We did the back end of mine with it.

I built the front of mine with the floor jack version. Its a little tricky but you can bend pretty sharp if you move it around a little.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input, despite any drawbacks I think that it will work for what little I need it. If I expect the worst, I may not be too disappointed.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yeah those Harbor Freight "benders" are called kink-o-matics for a reason :thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts