Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I been wheeling for at least 40 years and I think I seen it all. I done a lot of group trips and I tell you what, there isnt something that can ruin the whole groups day faster then some idiot who isnt ready. You know who I'm talking about. It's the guy who shows up with no tools, no lunch, no warm clothes, and who knows what else. He's usually the first one broke on the trail, most likely blocking it. He then gets out and stands there waiting for somebody to fix his garbage.

Now I know most people just say "leave 'em". But that just isn't the right way to do things. You can't leave somebody broke on the mountain. At worst you still have to give them a ride out. This guy is the weak link in your chain. A good day can come to an end when your chain breaks.

But the real problem isn't doing something about it in the first place. Nobody wants to pick a fight, or cause bad blood or anything back at the trail head. But it's gotta be done.

So when everybody's lined up in the morning for the run and you've got an idiot, reached down grab your sack and tell them what's up. At this point you'll know what kind of person they are. If they listen and do something about it, then you've got a wheeler willing to learn. If they react badly, you don't want them with you anyway.

I have hauled more pieces of junk out of the mountains then I can remember. Trust me, it's a lot easier to have some guy ticked off at you, then connected to your rear bumper on a strap.

Good Wheelin.

Boon

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
[quote='Ol Boon] reach down, grab your sack and tell them what's up.[/quote]

There is a quote to live by :thumb:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
[quote='Ol Boon]Any other FJ 40 owners in here?

Mines a '76 with a chev 327 and a chev powersteering conversion done to it. I also have a hydraulic winch on it. Just finished an 80% restoration. I also had an overdrive unit installed when the motor was put in. Cruises pretty good down the road now. Got a locker in the front but not the rear. I'll have my brothers kid put up a pick next time I see him.[/quote]

On a trip with me, you would get the axe. How you like that? :finger:

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's alot easier to have you ticked off at yourself, connected to my rear bumper on a strap. :mrgreen:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
He does make a good point. I just dont think it applies all the time though. It can be a good way to scare off somebody just gettng into the sport. I guess it would be a judgment call.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I am sorry, but there is no trail here that is hardcore enough that the vehicle is the problem. If you or anyone has trouble handling or supporting those that are new or inexperienced, then what good are you. Dont be the first to take yourself for granted. Sack up and teach someone how to be prepared. Take them in your rig so they can wish they had the insight and preparedness that you as a seasoned wheeler has. I ALWAYS SAY THIS, BUT ONCE AGAIN, TEACH BY EXAMPLE.

:banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good points...been on a few of those runs where non members show up...with out the proper gear to run the trail or obsticle...and the trail boss has said "that you can try to go thru..but your shit will be damaged"

We have put them near the back of the pack...or sandwiched them with others that have winches...and usually they bug out and pull off the trail or take the bypass. Sometimes they make it thru...beating their crap all up...but the next time you see them on the trail...or meeting...they have added/fixed what someone suggested they need to do.

I remember a few years back there were a couple of xj boys in the club and they did not have lockers...they had like 33's...and were able to drive the same stuff that we "required 35's and lockers" on with a small wheelbase jeep.

I say give them at least one chance and if theh show back up AGAIN without things like TOW HOOKS or attachment points...or even their own strap and a high lift..."kickem to the curb" ha ha ha...just joking!

Ken Nixon and Howard SHields were good examples of joining the club with rather mild/stock rigs and now look at them...shoot I had a stock flattie on 33x9.50's and wheeled the piss out of it...then wanted to fix the steering and ended up with a strtched frame...new axles...225 v6...4 speed...new cage...and a bunch of cash missing from my bank account!!

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
On our last run, I ended pulling a truck out that should have never been on the trail in the first place. I am the tech inspector, but I was out on the trail early, and didn't anticipate this truck joining us. Now I am in to helping guys out to wheel, and we won't leave somebody out on the trail, but in this instance, he showed up with 3 gallons of ATF knowing he had a transmission problem. If you know your rig has a problem, then you shouldn't be taking it out. It is no fun for someone to have to miss the obstacles and spend all night towing a rig.

Anybody that wheels with me will know that I am one of the first to open my toolbox and get to fixin.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
chris everyones rig has Problems the only question is the extent :thumb:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Sounds like a holier than though attitude with wheeling......

This is a pretty new sport here in ID....I think its great the growth that we have seen just in this past year. But to tell someone that they cant go on a trail run because "YOU" dont think they are ready......

Teach the person.....that way they are ready for there next trip out....That is the only way to make trail runs better, that and more :beer: :thumb: .

That kind of attitude "Ive been wheelin before Jesus was here", is the true attitude that ruins this sport......The guys that go out and break stuff, that is what makes the sport stronger.

We have sat back and watched and listen to a ton of "club" members in ID since we have been here......most are great guys and fun to hang out with, but then others are sooo negative about a certain kind of rig, or people that cant afford to have the best of the best, its sickening.

I think that people need to quit bitching about everything, and get the fawk along :beer: :finger:

Just my .02

·
Registered
252 Posts
Most of the people that have problems on the trail are the same ones that have problems with their rig just getting back and forth to work.
Im sorry but if you cant take a little time before a run and look over your shit and make sure everything is in working order, safe and trustworty dont count on me to abuse my shit to get you out of some place you shouldnt be.

It doesnt make any sense for me to screw up my rig that Ive spent my hard earned cash on and spent countless hours building for the intended purpose to tow out someone that wont take the time to change a bad starter, alt, U-joints before a run, now on the other hand if its a legitimate breakage Im there to help in anyway I can and shit does happen on the trail.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Maybe what I said came out wrong. If you know that your rig has major mechanical problems before the run, don't bring it, it will end being a burden to the others on the trail.

If you have unforseen failures on the trail, no problem, we will fix it and get it out. I don't have the best rig out there, and I have problems on the trail that have to be fixed every now and then.

I always invite new rigs, especially stockers. It is great to watch a rig come out, not make and obstacle or take on a little damage and then next month they come out bigger and better.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
58 Posts
lehi said:
chris everyones rig has Problems the only question is the extent :thumb:
I certainly know that my rigs biggest problem is just the loose nut behind the wheel. :scared:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts