Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 17 Posts

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone with bigger tires 38" or bigger and beadlocks got their tires balanced. If so where I just get the same old song and dance from local stores. They hear 39.5 and the damn near freak out on ya throw beadlocks in the mix and they go into convulsions or something. I don't want them perfectly balanced just pretty close :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Put some Equal in the tires that is what I have in my 39.5 no beadlocks though.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
I second the equal.

I dont think those little weights will make much of a difference on a beadlocked tire.

I didnt balance mine at all and I can cruise 55 down the highway rather well once the tires heat up some.

The guy at the Les Schwabb here actually yelled at me when I showed up with my tires to just mount them on (before beadlocks). The manager got involved and said they didnt want to mess with them. I pointed out that they had been messing with them for years and also pointed to several large trucks getting thier tires changed. They didnt really have anything to say.

Since then, I have found another place that is large tire friendly. It's Brian's Tire Factory down on Oak. The manager runs 39.5" tires on his truck.

Anyway, good luck with them. :mrgreen:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got off the phone with Centramatic they do hub balancers but from what he said a tire this big takes more weight than the hub balancers can cancel out. So looks like I will be going the equal route where can you get it around here and how do you put it in. The only tire store in Idaho Falls that will dismount my 39.5s and not charge me 50$ a tire is get this WAL MART scary huh?! :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
That reminds me when we were putting that tire on in Steve's shop that day! :rotfl:

How not to leverage a tire:

1. Place crowbar between tire and rim with crowbar laying over tire flat.
2. Straddle crowbar to keep pressure on the tire.
3. Have your large friend blazinzuk jump on the other side trying to get the tire to move.
4. Have crowbar rack you in the nuts real hard.

doah

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
You can compensate with some moving mass in the tire, like kevin said equal. I have seen golf balls, and beebees too. I tried the beebees, but the tire was just too out of round, so I run nothing, no weights, no filler, nothing in my 38's on beadlocks and I ran 70mph to Mtn home on saturday with little to no shake. It all depends on the tire. Mine are new SX 38x12.5 ( the new 38 ) and they are super well balanced as they were manufactured.

In my experience, the shops wont spend the time mounting beadlocks, but Walmart dismounted the old tires from my rims for free - I dont care if the guy was talking to us about making tandem ford 9"s for the rear of his twin turbo 77chevy truck. He did it for free and offered to buy the old ones.

His name was "Tex" too. :thumb:

·
Registered
45 Posts
LOL, yea I can vouch for the tire shops having problems with big tires. I'm a general mechanic at a tire shop. When I brought my Boggers into work after picking them up on my lunch, everybody was wide eyed and stumped as to how I plan on mounting them. They're like "Are you gonna use bars and spoons, or what?" I say "Hell no, I'm gonna use that tire machine right there!" :mrgreen: More wide eyes ensued. :rotfl:

Today I brought in blazinzuk's soon to be aqurired TSLs to dismount off my wheels. The owner of the shop just about had a kitten. He thought they were gonna break the machine. :roll: (Guys a pencil pusher) I guess he didn't want me messin' with the tire machine so he had one of our tire busters pull em' off. Worked for me, I got to make money instead. :mrgreen:

Subject at hand: As for balancing, I can kinda see why most shops don't want to touch anything over 35"s. Most "regular" balancers don't have the physical dimensions to do so. We had to get a special machine to balance the 20"+ wheels ($$$$$) and larger diameter tires. I was told not to even think about trying to use it for the 36"s when I remount them, much less my 38.5s. I don't see any reason why a tire shop that's equipped for farm and truck wheels would have a problem though???

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
bb's work well, just noisy, golf balls dont work for sheat, and I personally like the free full body massage I get while traveling down the free way on my beadlocked 42's whistle

·
Registered
148 Posts
bought my 39.5 TSLs a year ago from 4 wheel parts and NO BODY in town would touch them. Thought I might have luck with one guy at Schwabs that has a truck w/39.5 TSLs but get this, he wanted me to return the tires I already had and buy some from him for over 300 dollars more and then he'd mount them. My dad knew a guy with a mobile truck that mounted all four for 25 bucks.

To the subject - don't have beadlocks and didn't balance my tires and it vibrates pretty bad around 45-60. It was moderatly livable. More likely due to bad drivelines and a possible bent wheel though. Sucker feels like it wants to hop around. Any ways, just got a tow rig so I don't care as much as I used to. whistle Had wanted to try Equal but Ive heard that if you air up and down alot that it will clump up or something with moisture - anybody else hear that?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Has anybody ever thought of using some antifreeze? Same principle as the bb's and equal and really close to the same idea as a hub balancers only difference is you can put in as much anti freeze as need be. Secondly anti freeze will work year round, conditions rubber and is also supposed to slow rust down. That may be just the orange kind but ya get the idea. Nice part about anti freeze is you can jack the tire off the ground, Roll the valve stem to the bottom side and remove the core. Get a syringe from one of those turkey baster deals and put in several fl. ounces at a time. Put your core back in and air it up and take the test drive. Am I crazy???

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yes, equal is very moisture sensitive, we used to have to use special lube when mounting truck tires, Eric call ron's tire factory in rigby those will probly take of you. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
We have some guys from Jacks Tire come in to work (Sportsmans Warehouse) every now and then and they'll buy a pallet full of 20 lb. bags of shotgun shot bb's for balancing the tractor tires they mount. They said they've used them in their truck tires before, like a cup each or so and it works pretty well.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I bought my 39.5x17x13.5 IROKS from LesSchwab in Meridian. They mounted them for me on trial ready beadlocks, it was the first bead locks they had ever seen, not sure they would do it again.
no balancing.
I thought it would be a problem but it is fine on the highway, you might want to just mount them up an try it out....

·
Registered
374 Posts
I bought my 39.5x17x13.5 IROKS from LesSchwab in Meridian. They mounted them for me on trial ready beadlocks, it was the first bead locks they had ever seen, not sure they would do it again.
no balancing.
I thought it would be a problem but it is fine on the highway, you might want to just mount them up an try it out....

·
Registered
198 Posts
muddinmike said:
, and I personally like the free full body massage I get while traveling down the free way on my beadlocked 42's whistle
:rotfl: That's funny.

Our tire guys do the BB thing in a couple of our Semi's tires that were bouncing.

Personally I am running the IROKS and hummer wheels with the mag runflats still in without any balancing and no noticeable craziness until I hit 65mph. Even then it's not bad. With the split rims I mounted them myself. 8)

1 - 16 of 17 Posts