Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The little Geo is going to undergo open powerplant surgery. Thursday night it started running rough. Last night I was able to do some diagnostics and it looks like I've probably got burnt valves on cylinders 2 &3. So I'll do a cylinder leakdown test later this morning to confirm then heads are going to roll! or at least it will be coming off. Heck I might have to do a cam upgrade while it is off, who knows.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the leak down test and the compressed air blew in cylinder 2 and out cylinder 3. The gasket between the two was blown. I've got the head off now and it is in the dishwasher here at work getting cleaned up and ready for the machine shop on Monday.

It's tempting to re-ring it while I've got it apart. I'll have to think about that one though. Also, if I could have a new cam here by Wednesday I might be tempted to go with one for a little more power. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

P.S. Thanks Eric for the offer.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well here is a picture of the post mortum. The gasket just failed between the two cylinders. I didn't loose any coolant or oil, just compression.

On monday I'll have the head over to the machine shop to get checked out. I'll also call around and see what I can find for a new camshaft while I'm at it. Might as well add a little power while I have the head off.:thumb:

Attachments

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
don't even bother with the low range cam get a mid range cam. Our engines typically rely on gears ( I know you are running stock gears for now) for the crawling and the midrange cam is great for cruising, the dunes and mud. Well as good as a zuk can do in mud

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it would definitly be the mid range cam. Need more power on the paved road to pull my little camp trailer and more power for the sand would be fun as well. Eric do you have or do you know of anyone with first hand experience with the cams that are available?

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
I have used several of them I like the calmini cam the best. Also have you considered shaving the head a bit. I think you can easily get away with .0015, won't help much but you know every little bit helps.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info Eric.

As far as shaving the head goes it has been surfaced once already but I'm not sure how much. I'll be dropping it off at the machine shop this afternoon to get checked out. I'll probably end up doing a re-ring and bearings as well.

Hope to be able to go back together on Saturday. Crossing my fingers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts