Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for those of you that didnt know that my toy was under construction...Here's what I did in the last week or so....

I put Toyota rears up front with all pro spring packs which moved the front axle about 2-3/4 inches forward

I lengthened my front drive line 5" with 1/4" steel tubing BEEFY

I installed a toy ifs pwr steering box which allowed me to do crossover steering

I made a crossover steering arm and draglink

I pressed the balljoint on the end of the pittman arm out and welded it completely closed to have it machined out to accept a 3/4 grade 8 bolt and a super duty greaseable heim-joint on one end of the draglink

I boxed the frame with 1/4" flat steel plate after I found where I wanted the steering box mounted. the bolt holes have 1/8" dom sleeving in between the sides of the frame to keep it from crushing when the bolts are torqued or under stress

I replaced the tie rod ends with the bigger FJ80 ones

I chopped the stock u bolts off and did a u-bolt flip with the bigger cast iron full size cherokee spring plates...I checked my caster and had to correct it with some medium shims and longer spring pins

It drives awesome, turns sharper and flexes like nothing I have owned before (my zuk did 1120 on a 20deg rti) so I am happy and I took it out tonight to make sure that the pittman was not going to make contact with anything when the tires are stuffed also my drive line is just right it wont bottom out or pull out even with the stock slip...I just need to keep and eye on all the bolts and retorque them after I drive it a little longer
I will post pics if I can figure it out....

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
mo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
sweeet! figures though. now MINE is under construction. see ya on the trails........someday!:beer:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
trevortoyota said:
sweeet! figures though. now MINE is under construction. see ya on the trails........someday!:beer:
we go way back trevor...you ALWAYS get it done It wont be long...:beer:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Custom said:
lookin better than it did in the driveway...
Thanks to you Bro, for hookin me up with the Fattie Ifs Box:beer:

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
not a prob.....hey i still owe you 20 bux....that and you hooked me up as well so thanks brotha :beer:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ron_Egress said:
Awesome job! Tomorrow I start on mounting my IFS box.
Thanks..Ron
It wasnt as easy as I thought... the frame needs alot of work and I dont think I will ever try it again with the crappy equipment that I have in my garage.. What pittman arm are you going to use?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rockreeper said:
looking good. glad to see the springs are working awesome.

OOps...!

rockreeper: hooked me up with the springs/ shackles!

thanks...they are super squishy and they make my yota feel like it needs a swaybar and thats a good thing...:drive:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
rodzillax3 said:
Thanks..Ron
It wasnt as easy as I thought... the frame needs alot of work and I dont think I will ever try it again with the crappy equipment that I have in my garage.. What pittman arm are you going to use?
I got the hy-steer conversion kit from trail gear. It came with everything.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Roxzilla-

the local cruiser club that hae done conversions like that haven't had many problems. The only additional thnkg that they have done is gusset between the two arms for strength. Good job though!
Where did you go for the cement flex? I need to do some measuring on my runner and an not finding anywhere local to flex..... (not going on the trail until the little bits are fixed.)

keep it up!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Something to think about on that steering setup is to put a triangle between the 2 arms for a bit more bracing. I did basically the same as your setup on an FJ40.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I guess so. I just looked at the pictures.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
marvin82 said:
Where did you go for the cement flex? I need to do some measuring on my runner and an not finding anywhere local to flex.....

You should get affiliated with one of the clubs, most of them have RTI ramps, then you dont have to worry about the negative outlook urban wheeling gives the sport.

Unless the place of business has no problems with it, then its cool.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
chevycrew said:
You should get affiliated with one of the clubs, most of them have RTI ramps, then you dont have to worry about the negative outlook urban wheeling gives the sport.

Unless the place of business has no problems with it, then its cool.
Testing your flex is not urban wheeling, the dude in Mt Home that tipped his jeep on a light post is classic though. I tested my jeep on the trailer for flex when I was measuring for my shox. Got the liftgate on the flatbed too. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Anytime you want some help, let me know.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts