Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know if anyone can tell me the axles that are on my rig I was looking for the plate the has the description is worn down (it is a 1977) and I cant read them but it's a 77 K5 w/ 350ci and th350 trans don't know about t-case either I know the rear is a 12 bolt but thats about all I know I would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 84 came with 12 bolt rear and dana 44 front, but it was military issue with the 6.2L diesel and th400 tranny... I'm not sure if they came stock with them as it had sat in a junkyard for about 10 years... It could've been stock, I dunno... I put dana 60's with 35 spline front and rear as soon as I got it...

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
In 77 it should have 12b rear and D44 front 10b front came out in 78 so that year had both. T case will be most likely NP203

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
I sold a '77 blazer for parts, it had the 10 bolt front in it from the factory.

If the cover is round it's a 10 bolt, if its not, its a 44.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok well it looks like a 10 bolt then what you guys think should I stay with the 10 front and 12 rear or go to dana 60 rear 44 front? I don't really know where to start on this truck it's in amazing running shape brand new t-case and th350 not even been broken in so I'm going to stay w/ the NP203 for a while but I'm not big on the 3spd auto I'd sort of like a 4 or 5spd manual what sorts of options do i have other than 700r4 4004r and th350 and i think 2004r or r4 i forget :darn:. I'm not usually this illiterate when it comes to the 305ci or 350ci but most vehicles I work with them on are 2wd mostly muscles this is new for me in the aspect of trans and 4wd.

Also I wanted to ask since my rig is all time 4x4 it has high low then high lock and low lock should I stick with this setup or maybe go a different direction because I like the idea of having stock lockers but could this also hurt me offroad?

Sorry I have been so long winded and sorry for asking so much but you guys have been a great help. Normally when I build a car a rig or anything for that matter there are normally people local that I talk to but there are not a lot of guys here that know about anything other than Jeeps or Zuki's or Diesel's. Thanks again fellas!

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
wanted to ask since my rig is all time 4x4 it has high low then high lock and low lock should I stick with this setup or maybe go a different direction because I like the idea of having stock lockers but could this also hurt me offroad?
that doesn't mean you have lockers just locks the tcase you have a 203 tcase which are heavy and have lots of problems.

the 10b isn't much diffrent that a d44 but lets not start that argument
forget the D60 rear for gm get a 14bff cheap, strong and readily available plus just about anyone can install a detroit locker with basic hand tools.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Put a part time kit in the T Case, put some hubs on the front end if you don't already and wheel it.

The stock axles are ok for a 35-36" tire if your not doing WOT rock racing.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The guy is in Ohio. Shipping would be a little high...
But of course I don't know where you are. May not be an issue.
Dave

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I went out and made some new friends Saturday and I'm getting a 6" suspension lift (no blocks) 14 bolt rear np208 t-case 4sp manual trans Dana 44 front and maybe trading off my stock 350 and some cash for a 355 roller with edelbrok 700cfm 4bbl carb getting everything for about $600 now all I need is a set of 35's some 6 lug rims and I'm thinking about getting real beadlocks because I talked to the local police and they have never heard of beadlocks and they said that I can run them on the street. :drive:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts