Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about axle up grades. Probably Dana 44 from a scout. Not sure about front but from a scout as well. For two reasons, locking front hubs and for the durability. Has anyone else done this on an XJ? Any major problems I am getting into? Any advise would be Awsome.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Planning on keeping the front coil suspension, and relocating mounts etc to new axle. Other thoughts are used xj Dana44 and used locking hub kit.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You will have some trouble with the front Scout axle in the XJ. Scouts are passenger side drop axles and XJs are drives side. If you want to change transfer cases it wouldn't matter, but it won't be just an axle change if that's what your looking for.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Swapping tubes on an old axle is too big of a deal to be worth it, in my opinion not worth the effort at all. I think you could get a waggonneer front axle that is already driver drop and use that. There would be the least effort with this swap. (also I happen to have one listed in the classifieds that I could sell you for dirt cheap). There is also a HPf150 housing for sale here too, that would retain the coil suspension, but full width is a different detail to address.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
JoshH said:
You will have some trouble with the front Scout axle in the XJ. Scouts are passenger side drop axles and XJs are drives side. If you want to change transfer cases it wouldn't matter, but it won't be just an axle change if that's what your looking for.
Since nobody seems to want my heap, thats cool, I havce the opportunity to acquire a 78 f2fiddy for Cheap$$$, more than likely driver drop, and my Heap is not, what t-cases will bolt to the back of the tranny, (TH400) and will flow with the desired low-go?

(Didn't think this was an entire high jack since we are on the same page)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
What do you plan on doing with this XJ? What size tires??

If you aren't running anything larger than a 35/36" I wouldn't bother swapping out the front axle.

If the rear is a D35, junk it. 8.25 or D44, keep it.

As for swapping axles, HP D44/9" would be a good swap, or a Toy 8" rear wouldn't be too bad. Or there's always the Ford 8.8" rear. Or if your going to run some real tires, HP D60/D70 or 14bolt, or 2.5 ton Rockwells

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I have an idea, howz about buy my matching 76 Cherokee 44's, and then i will have the cash to put the f2fiddy stuff under it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts