Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm kinda new here, and not very knowledgable on some of the upgrades I want to do to my stock '84 CJ7. I was wondering if I could pick your brain for some advice/ideas. Here it goes....

I've just committed myself to upgrading my CJ7. Right now it is bone-stock (as far as I know) stock front/rear open axles, suspension, brakes, 258ci carburated (Weber upgrade!), 4 speed manual - the stock lot!

I would love to have the biggest, baddest, most off-road capable platform that I could, but as I'm sure many of you have noticed, when I turn on the kitchen faucet - money doesn't pour out. Damn.

Right now, my main priority is making it more drivable and family friendly (wife, 2 daughters.) Within the next couple of months, I will upgrade suspension to 4.5 RE Extreme Duty Suspension, fully welded/tied-in cage, soft top to replace hard top, and power steering (which I still need to find.)

Sorry to ramble, but I want to paint a picture of where I want to go with this build. I plan on using the Jeep just as I have for the last 15 years; hunting, camping, and 4x4 weekends. Nothing to extreme until I have it built up. Would love to add Moab, Rubicon, and rockcrawling to the list! I have no desire to swap the 258, however I would like to add EFI if the funds come in. Not sure how reliable the stock tranny/x-fer case are, but have looked at different options for way down the road. I have 30" tires (yes, you can make fun of me) but am going to upgrade to 33's and possibly 35's in the future.

Now, if you've made it this far, the main question - however, feel free to chime in on any of my plans! Like I said, since I've signed in to this site, I have noticed that you are all a hell of a lot more knowledgeable than I am, so any/all inputs are welcome.....

What suggestions do you have for axles? The reason I ask is that I have a line on complete Dana 44's front and rear out of a Scout II for $500. I have heard loads of good things about the 44's, and I would like to build the Jeep stronger than I need it rather than inviting a failure at a bad time. Does that sound like a good deal? Would Dana 30's do just as good of a job? Should I look at Ford 8.8" or 9"? Should I go wide track or full witdth as I've seen some of the rigs running. Ultimately, I'd love to fabricate a 4 link front and rear, so I'm looking for something that can grow with the build. What sort of lockers would you recommend? I like the convenience of the ARB (although I don't own one, and have never used one - just going on what I've read) but are they prone to damage with the exposed plumbing?

If you have taken the time to read this whole novel, thanks for your patience. If you want to pass on some of your brains my way, I can't thank you enough. Hope to see you on the trail soon!

Tyler

·
Registered
393 Posts
I just happen to have an 84 CJ7 thats somewhat modified, If you would like to see the build and associated costs give me a pm and we'll get together one of these days, It may help you decide how much time and money you want to invest. I can tell you this,I believe a high maintenance wife is cheaper!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
ricochet said:
I just happen to have an 84 CJ7 thats somewhat modified, If you would like to see the build and associated costs give me a pm and we'll get together one of these days, It may help you decide how much time and money you want to invest. I can tell you this,I believe a high maintenance wife is cheaper!!
I have to agree with Chuck. It only gets more and more expensive as you progress. I also want to say that Chuck, you jeep looks damn sexy with those 40's. Nice.

I have the 258 in my jeep (its a 90, so the last year) and I have plenty of input about that motor. Seriously.

I did FI, head swap, bored out, springs, valves, cam etc. I like it just fine, but it was plenty of money. There is not definitive answer to any of this, it is all just your preference.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gripguru,

Thanks for the teaser - I'm looking forward to your info, because it sounds like you have already done what I was planning. I'm PMing you my contact info so if you want to learn me up when you get a chance, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the input!

Tyler

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for the inputs! I'm thinking I am going to pass on the axles at this time - too many projects, to many ideas, and not enough money right now. I am just going to focus on the suspension, cage, & power steering for right now.

I'd rather get into the axles when I have the money to do it right the first time, rather than trying to jump on a possible good deal.

Thanks again for everyone's inputs, and please keep them coming! I am still trying to get as smart as I can, and let me tell you it's an uphill battle. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer!

Tyler

1 - 7 of 7 Posts