Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping you smart people out there can help me out with some questions I have about building a new axle for my 2000TJ. I broke my D35 in March and have yet to upgrade but it is just about time.

I have been looking at a couple different options.

First, in one of the mags I saw a D44 with ARB and what ever gears I want for $2500 that will fit right in.

Second I was thinking about a ford 8.8. I figure I can get one built for about $1600-1800 with ARB and 5.29 gears.

But I was just trying to figure out what the cost difference would be to step up to the Ford 9". Should I save up and pay the difference to get the bomb proof 9"??

My final goal for my TJ is 5.29 gears and 37's. Any help would be great, and if you have a ford 9" or 8.8 for sale, please let me know!

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Save your money and go with the 9". A 8.8 is still a c-clip axle. 44's are great axles, but with 37's in your future I wouldn't waste my time or energy on a 44. Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Personally I would rather go with big axles and not have to worry about it... IE. D60 front, D70/14 bolt rear.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Built a few of these, so here goes.
TJ and standard 9" sucks, you'll need to spend big money for high pinion to make it worth doing.
D44 is the easiest way to go and crmo axles will take 37" and moderate abuse.
8.8 not a bad way to go on a budget. get the exploder version.
There are two choices for using D60. The best price and easist is to build a semi float 60 then you can match the wheel pattern and never need to mess with it again. A distant 2nd choice would be to narrow a full floater and adapt the wheel pattern.

The semi float D60 is by far the best choice and will be one of the best prices. Shanes buggy is running this set up and 40" in comps. The after market link mounts are a huge improvement over stock and will save future issues. :smokin:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This D60 business sounds pretty good. Where might a guy find one of those, what are they out of, and to keep from getting screwed, what price should I pay for it out of the junk yard or whereever?? I am not the smartest guy around, so I am trying to keep things pretty easy and I figure I might as well spend the money now instead of break something on the trail and be stuck, like I was before.

Thanks for all this info. I still haven't made up my mind about this yet, but I would like to look into this D60 a little more. Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Personally I would rather go with big axles and not have to worry about it... IE. D60 front, D70/14 bolt rear.

Ditto. I did it the hard (expensive) way. Built a d35, broke it. Built an 8.8 it was fine but to get the front 30 up to similar strength was too much $ for the return (polishing the turd thing). finally ripped it all out and stuck a 14 bolt in the rear and a D60 in the front and now I worry about other things like what's for lunch!

Mine is a bit extreeme and the wheel mounting surface width is wide (67") so I compensated with stock hummer rims with 7" of backset in effect norrowing the axle without actually cuting it down. I'm running 39.5's and am still fairly wide at 77" outside of tire to outside of tire. I no longer drive mine around except occasionally on the weekends either. You may be more inclined to highway travel but like Pep said there are ways to get what you're looking for. Spend some time doing your research and do it right the first time and you will be a happy man. One thing about moding a Jeep is that some one somewhere has done exactly what you want for the exact same reasons. Most people are more than happy to share specific pro's and con's of their set-up if asked right. There are a lot of associated changes that happen when you start down the path to bigger tires.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Local yard in maridian will sell any rear axle (FF60, FF14B, 44, whatever!) for $200 even.

He says he makes more money scrapping axles for cash then he does waiting for someone to purchase them.

I got a 14B FF from him I just need to go pull it.

I looked real good for a HP60 but found none. I wonder how many he has scrapped!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Andy, I just built a couple of these Semi Float D60 axles :D

Give me a call if you want one set up with the TJ brackets and everything.. I just did one for a TJ with Dual bolt patterns, 5x4.5 and 5x5.5 too.

Semi Float 60 with 35spline shafts, never worry about it again :D
208-695-4994

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Built a few of these, so here goes.
TJ and standard 9" sucks, you'll need to spend big money for high pinion to make it worth doing.
D44 is the easiest way to go and crmo axles will take 37" and moderate abuse.
8.8 not a bad way to go on a budget. get the exploder version.
There are two choices for using D60. The best price and easist is to build a semi float 60 then you can match the wheel pattern and never need to mess with it again. A distant 2nd choice would be to narrow a full floater and adapt the wheel pattern.

The semi float D60 is by far the best choice and will be one of the best prices. Shanes buggy is running this set up and 40" in comps. The after market link mounts are a huge improvement over stock and will save future issues. :smokin:
Like Pepper said here, the 8.8 Exploder version has Disc brakes and 31spline shafts and 3.73 gears. We did one of these for Tjeremy on here. He has been running 35's on it in his TJ with a welded carrier no problems so far!

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
It's still got c-clips!! Go with the 60.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems like the more I read into this, the D60 seems to be the right choice. I will get ahold of ya sometime soon Shane so I can see what kind of $$ I am lookin at and then I can try and wrap my head around the WHOLE project. I am at that point where if I do anything, I have to do everything.

If I do the axle, I still need a SYE. If I do the SYE I can put swap in my 6" springs. If I do the axle and SYE, I might was well do the new suspension set up I want. If I do the suspension, of course I will need new tires. If I do the whole damn thing, I will need more $$$ just to go wheel. It never ends. The joys of owning a Jeep

·
Registered
25 Posts
If I do the axle, I still need a SYE. If I do the SYE I can put swap in my 6" springs. If I do the axle and SYE, I might was well do the new suspension set up I want. If I do the suspension, of course I will need new tires. If I do the whole damn thing, I will need more $$$ just to go wheel. It never ends. The joys of owning a Jeep
Just remember, 1-3" is $100 per inch, after that it is $1000 per inch min

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
You talking about the "super" 8.8 kit?

Andy if you are looking for an 8.8, find me a 14 bolt or D70 for a good price and I would sell the axle that's under my Jeep.

Came out of a 92 Explorer, disc brakes, 4.88 Yukon gears, ARB locker. I have it setup for the 4 link that's under my Jeep, but I would cut all that off and put it on the other axle since it wouldn't work on anything else... well unless you designed the suspension for the mounts.

Shoot, I'd even weld on the TJ stuff if you wanted to come down here with it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will keep that in mind. I will see what I can find in the way of a 14 bolt or D70. I am going to Cali for a run at the end of the month and I know a lot of Jeeper's that way that could probably point me in the right direction. As always, what kind of price range should they be in?? I have too many times thought I got a good deal only to find I got the shaft. Let me know a price range.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts