Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy who I have sold a jeep cherokee to. When I sold it to him I included an ax-15 and matching np 231 out of my 90 wrangler. The cherokee is an 87. He is having a problem getting the tranny mount to work with the crossmember. When he talked to a wrecker they told him that putting an ax-15 into an 87 couldn't work because the bellhousings wouldn't match. Well he has the tranny in and it all fits. The only problem is the crossmember to mount issue. I am long winded, sorry. :oops: To get to the point, is there any reason an ax-15 won't work in an 87 cherokee with a 4.0 when the ax-15 came from a 90 wrangler with a 4.2. When I pulled the t-18 from the cherokee and put it in the wrangler I didn't have any major problems so I would expect it to be the same going the other way. Any input would be great. I recognize the inherent problems of linkages, mounts, etc. I am only asking about gearing, teeth, housings, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think that there will be a problem with the input shaft going into the motor the diameter of the ax-15 shaft that sat behind the 4.2 is smaller than the shaft that sat behind the 4.0 on the trans, he will probably need an odd sized pilot to make the input shaft fit correctly.. as it is now he will probably have a lot of slop in between the shaft and pilot

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He did get a new pilot bearing for it. It matched. Is there anything else? I really don't see any major issues but maybe I am missing something...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Did he get the tranny mount for the Cherokee? that is the only thing I can think of that would make the tranny not line up with the crossmember ... He souldnt have any other problems.. I have a tranny out of a cherokee in my wrangler and the only trouble I had was the pilot.....should go right in???

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The mount is the only other problem we haven't solved. I am going to try and go by soon and have a look at it. Thanks for the thought. I didn't think that there was anything major, just nice to know that I am on the right track.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is no reason it will not work, but you need to move the x member back to the rear-most 4 of the 6 Xmember holes (may need to tap them) and get an AX-15 mount, and possibly do some kind of exhaust mod to get it to work. You cant put it all back the way it was with the ax-15 but its not hard to do.

Your tow truck buddy is driving towtrucks (not wrenching on vehicles) for a reason ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts