Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the specs on the 38 army surplus tires you can buy. I saw a set of them at blazinzuks house and I was thinking about getting them.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
They are about 11 inches wide and about 38.5" tall and very heavy probably about 145 lbs per tire with no rim they go on a 16" rim

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think they would go good on my 40. I am really looking for a long lasting, good looking tire. And since 35's look tiny on my cruiser, I will end up getting something else.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
295 are the brand new ones. The used ones are around 75 bucks each. some of them are more than 75% tread. These would last forever on your 40 They are skinny but they might look good on an older truck

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
This got me wondering how much they do weigh so I took the bathroom scale out to the garage. 150 lbs with a 16x7 steel wheel (chrome mod) That wheel can't weigh more than 30 lbs probabably closer to 20 so the tires are about 130 each very very heavy

·
Registered
257 Posts
Fill em with helium.....

They are rated for 130,000 + miles under a 5 ton truck. Should dang near out last your rig.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took a look at them last night. They are decent looking tires. Heavy though. I like that they would last forever. I wonder what they would do to my gas mileage.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've been looking at a new set of these for my Burb - how are they in the winter??? I know they're good on Bigger, heavier trucks but what about your regular 4wd truck???

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Siped I bet they would be as good as any other aggresive big mud tire. Not siped I bet they suck on icy roads.

·
Registered
298 Posts
That's what I've heard from some people and otherwise from others - I don't know anybody that runs them or has run them in the winter to ask!!

My other problem is I have no problems changing my BFG's by myself - not sure if I could lift these others!!! I might have to pull the girl card on this one LOL!!! Although the boyfriend thought they would be awesome for the Mudbogs this next year - as skinny as they are!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
That's not all that bad. I bet a TSL SX in that same size would weigh about the same.

This got me wondering how much they do weigh so I took the bathroom scale out to the garage. 150 lbs with a 16x7 steel wheel (chrome mod) That wheel can't weigh more than 30 lbs probabably closer to 20 so the tires are about 130 each very very heavy

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
If you want a big tough tire, they can't be beat, but I doubt you will be able to get much sidewall flex, so depending on what kind of wheeling you like that may be a problem.

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you grooved them like crazy and ran single digit pressure they'll flex on a mid sized rig. Probably wouldn't flex as well on an FJ-40 or a mini pickup. They're a whole lot heavier then my sx's which are at least 3 inches wider and only 3/4 shorter. My sx's weight 89lbs a tire. Even with 15x10's the weight difference between them and the michelins is very noticable. I honestly think they'd do fairly well if you goove them. Use a small blade though and make tons of cuts! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I went out in the shed and looked in my book just cause I was curious. I had weighed my tires when I bought them.

Q78-15, which are ~35.5x11.5 are ~75lbs a piece. With the wheel they are ~100 lbs.

So yeah, the Gov tire are pretty heavy!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Like I said, 89lbs a tire, figure 32lbs for the rim. Somewhere around 120lbs. The michelins weigh 130+ with a skinnier rim. That's a heavy tire for how narrow it is. Good thing is that you won't wear them out and you'd be hard pressed to put a hole in the sidewall. :thumb: Plus they're CHEAP! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am glad I asked about this one. I really think that I will get them for my next tire. I just need to do something with my new rock crawler rims that wont fit them. Who is it in IF that has them Eric? Its the gut with the blazer isnt it?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Don't forget to upgrade your brakes! That is alot of weight/inertia to get stopped by some marginal OEM brakes...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Ehh... brakes are over rated :thumb: The ones on my ZJ won't hold it from rolling if I'm in 4Lo and going downhill :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts