Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have to have some type of emergency brake, are driveline brakes legal? I do not want to use a line lock, I want a mechanical brake for an emergency/parking brake. I still haven't decided if I should run caddy calipers or a driveline brake. Sounds like the caddy brakes are a pain in the ass to adjust/bleed :banghead: . I have to get a new driveshaft anyway and can ge a flanged cv-joint that can use a driveline brake. It would cost about the same no matter which way I go. :?

·
Registered
164 Posts
IF I REMEMBER RIGHT AS LONG AS IT IS A MECHANICAL BRAKE AND NOT HYDRAULIC IT IS LEGAL....ONE OF MY TOW TRUCK CAME FACTORY WITH A PINION BRAKE :thumb:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't know that they came stock. But now I am thinking they did. If I am thinking right, which doesn't happen alot, the dana 18 had a drum brake on the back of it. I guess it must be ok.

Thanks for the info :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tons of motorhomes come with driveline e-brakes so I'd guess, yes, they're legal.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
The main brake system should be hydralic and the secondary brake system should be mechanical i.e. a there must be a mechnical link to the brake it doesn't matter where on the vehicle the e brake is :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
58 Posts
well pinion brakes are legal they can be dangerous and freeway speeds. The disc gets to hot and you get serious brake fade. Nothing like having your 6k truck suddenly not stop anymore. You might fee like flintstoning it to try and stop.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anyone local selling these? *cough* Shane? *cough*

The leak prone Caddy calipers don't sound too tantalizing to me either.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a dana 300, and there are a couple of kits that you can get for it. High Angle has one and Tom Woods has one that fit the 300. I think there are a couple of others also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts