Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Only the ones from Hutchison (hummer style beadlocks). They have to have DOT legal stamped on the rim somewhere. There is also another company lisenced to make (or sell ) these too :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you can get a cop to show you in what law book it says you can only use DOT approved rims on the street I'd be very impressed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Truth is the only way it's likely to be an issue is if there is an accident and they are construed to be a contributing factor. Then you're screwed. I have actual military hummer rims that I believe are legal but they also say for military use only. I take my chances. :deal:

·
Registered
38 Posts
A set of DOT approved aluminum non-hummer rims came out in the 4x4 rags a month or so ago that are 100% legal. Can't seem to remember the brand though whistle

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
If you were to take a DOT wheel and send it to a company and have a beadlock welded on wouldn't it still be DOT approved. It has a stamp on it!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Krazytoy - no

That's like taking a jeep and replacing everything but the grill and saying it is still street legal.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
beads

There is a huge possibilty that a vehicle with beadlocks is probably in violation of the law in some other way. (no-one puts beadlocks on a stocker).

A cop is gunna hafta be really mad to start looking through the books to fine you for beadlocks. I asked my cop father in law about em, and he didn't know what they were( and he is a wealth of statute knowledge). after some discussion on the matter, and research, we couldn't find anything that defined what the penalty was for this violation. he was of the opinion that the greatest danger came from lawsuits from crash victims!
:(

so be safe

·
Registered
20 Posts
here in PA I am told they are very illegal but most of the cops don't bother cause its paper work they have to file then. same goes for the bumper height, tires sticking out and tinted windows. It depends on the towns around here if they bother you or not... The ones on the BRonco I'm told are illegal but who knows.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Besides that there are so many fake beadloks out there that a cop would have to know about them to give you a ticket, and if the cop knows that much about beadlocks he probably wants them on his own rig!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
That's like taking a jeep and replacing everything but the grill [/quote]

Isn't that what you have to do with a Jeep anyway??? :scared:

·
Registered
385 Posts
blazinzuk said:
Besides that there are so many fake beadloks out there that a cop would have to know about them to give you a ticket, and if the cop knows that much about beadlocks he probably wants them on his own rig!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

Too true!!! :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
This discussion has come up many many times....

The law states that you must have a DOT wheel on your vehicle....

Now are new Hillbilly locks coming out are made on a DOT wheel :thumb:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
I read the discussion over on Pirate about this. Pics were posted of rim blanks witht eh DOT stamp on them. My Rims have a DOT stamp on them. They must be legal. :thumb:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
krazytoy said:
That's like taking a jeep and replacing everything but the grill
Isn't that what you have to do with a Jeep anyway??? :scared:[/quote]
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
kinda like with a yota? :finger: :finger:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts