Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was out trail riding through the desert the other day at lunch, looking for a place called Fraser Reservoir. I found it, it looked by satellite photo to be a cool place to wheel, but in actualitly it was nothing more than another rolling hill full of tumbleweeds and sagebrush. But on the way out there, I passed by Cinder Butte, and holy crap is that place a mess.

It was full of old tires, washing machines, furniture, trash, ovens, and whatever the hell else you could think of. It looked like a bomb had gone off there and blew a fully packed house apart. Now I know that us wheelers didn't put it there, but damn it, that isn't Mountain Home's newest dump site. I was thinking of making some phone calls to the local paper and see about getting some PR for the club. I would like for our next run to be a cleanup, and invite the public and other club's to join in. I can make some calls and try to get some dumpster use donated for trash, some bins from the salvage yard for scrap metal, etc. From the BLM land maps, it appears to be state land, but I would assume I could still talk to BLM about it.....

I want to know if anyone has a problem with setting up a date in April, like maybe Sunday, April 24???

We need to participate in keeping recreational areas open!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry I will be in Rome that weekend. Great idea that place has needed a cleanup for some time now. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Chris, touch bases with John Toumi-he might be able to get you a dumpster truck for the day. If you don't know him-go through Dennis @ Karparts.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey Chris are you going to the next State 4x4 meeting? If so try to get some more details/info by then and we'll try to broaden this event. I will talk to High Desert about this at our next meeting. I really like that area out there as well. Hate to see anything happen to it.
C-ya,

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Jim Schmid is the guy you need to get a hold of with the BLM. If you organize a cleanup through them they can help with getting the trash away from the site. Also, while you are cleaning up there will be a sign up form and everyone who signs in is covered as a federal employee for workman's comp and liability. It is a good deal. You never know when an accident could happen. I have lots of trash bags that I could bring to the next meeting.

I'm not yet ready to get real involved in a club again right now. However, your group really interests me because it is in Mtn. Home. I got real tired of the drive to Boise. 8 years I drove there for meetings and runs. I'm going to try to make your next meeting to sort of check you guys out.

I drive the silver/grey Land Cruiser 80 series, much like Gregs. Most of you have probably seen it. Nothing to fancy but it gets the job done usually.

Eric V.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have put some calls out this morning trying to get some info...but all I got was voice mail, probably because of the holiday weekend.

I have got calls into

Jon Benedict, Boise BLM
Jim Scmid, Marsing BLM
Willy, Shorty's Salvage

and have got contacts for John Toumi now.....
Will be hopefully contacting the Mountain Home News today.

I hope this is going to be a go, we will find out at the next meeting. Haven't had any opinion from club members yet other than Alicia and I!! I need people to post up who is willing to do it, so it's not just four of us out there.l

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Chris, if this does not work out for you; let's get together sometime this summer and talk about the National Public Lands Day-BLM sponsored.
Usually in late Sept. We could get something going with them as clubs and help out in this area. They are highly sponsored for this event (Nationally) and work hard to make things happen. We will have to coordinate with BLM.
If you can make this one work, keep me posted and i will post on Treasure Valley Fourwheelers forum-no promises as most have to drive quite a ways-but will try.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your info....

Got some cool news today...I talked with the editor of the paper here, and he is all set to do a full article on the cleanup, inviting the public out to help, etc. He will also print an article with pictures after the cleanup to help support us. He was a really cool guy and told me he is a target shooter himself, and was disgusted by everyone leaving their junk out there. So now we definitely will have some good PR for the club, as well as any other clubs or businesses willing to help out!!!

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's some directions to the Buttes:

From Mt Home;
Take state highway 67 (AKA Airbase Road ) west out of Mountain Home. Immediately after crossing the rail road tracks, turn right on the small blacktop road. The road will go straight for a while then go to the right. Just before veering right, there will be a gravel road that goes straight ahead. That road heads directly to the base of Cinder Buttes.

From Boise:
Take the first exit to Mountain Home. After exiting I80, turn right just past the Chevron station/Burger King. The road is called “Old Oregon Trail Highway. Go a mile or 2 (not sure on the distance) and take the first left over the RR tracks. That gravel road will meet up with the same Blacktop that comes in from the south. Or, once you get over the tracks, follow the road to the left then immediately cut to the right you could wheel your way through the ruts and go up and over the butte to drop down the south side.

See ya there

Attachments

·
Registered
883 Posts
Lumpdog said:
I have put some calls out this morning trying to get some info...but all I got was voice mail, probably because of the holiday weekend.

I have got calls into

Jon Benedict, Boise BLM
Jim Scmid, Marsing BLM
Willy, Shorty's Salvage

and have got contacts for John Toumi now.....
Will be hopefully contacting the Mountain Home News today.

I hope this is going to be a go, we will find out at the next meeting. Haven't had any opinion from club members yet other than Alicia and I!! I need people to post up who is willing to do it, so it's not just four of us out there.l

Jim Schmidt, Marsing BLM :thumb:

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 42 Posts