Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wild West Off Roaders and the Mountain Home ATV club would like to invite everyone to attend our annual Earth Day Clean Up. This is a great time to help out the community and show the BLM that we are committed to preserving as much land as possible for our recreation. Last year we had a great time and cleaned up almost 12,000 lbs of trash with over 100 participants, lets make this years clean an even bigger success!

Where: On Highway 67 between Simco Road and the MH Air Force Base
Time: 10:00 am until ??? (basically until we fill the dumpsters)
When: April 22, 2007

As with last year there will be a raffle prize give away for all those that attend. Everyone who signs up will receive a ticket for free, and more can be purchased at the sign up table.

We will also be providing hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, waters and sodas for those in attendance free of charge.

As of right now, there are a few guest speakers scheduled to attend.

I hope to see everyone out there this year! Also, if you have anything you would like to donate to the raffle, please get a hold of me, thanks!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Coming from the Northwest (from Boise) (quickest & easiest):

From Boise, get on 84 South and turn off at Simco road. Travel southeast for ~20 miles to the Grandview Highway. Turn left and go 1.6 Miles and it will be on your left hand side.

Coming from the Northwest (Long way from Boise through Mt. Home):

Take Exit 90 (by the Chevron/Burger King). Stay on this road and it will take you through town and West towards Mountain Home AFB. When you get out of town the highway (67) takes 2 sweeping turns to the left. At the second one (exactly 6 miles after the first), turn right on Grandview Highway. From that intersection, it will be 6.5 miles to the sand wash. It will be on the right-hand side of the road.

Coming from the Southeast (from Twin Falls) (quickest & easiest):

Take Exit 99 (Highway 30 Business loop)
Stay on this loop and it will go over some RR tracks and past a Les Schwab.
At the “T” intersection, turn left (this will be airbase road (or Highway 67)) and proceed west out of town. When you get out of town the highway (67) takes 2 sweeping turns to the left. At the second one (exactly 6 miles after the first), turn right on Grandview Highway. From that intersection, it will be 6.5 miles to the sand wash. It will be on the right-hand side of the road.

Coming from the Southeast (from Twin Falls) (Alternate Route)

Take exit 95 (by the Pilot Station) and turn towards town on American legion.
Follow American Legion until you get to North Main Street (one way road heading to the left). Turn left on this road and it will take you through town and West towards Mountain Home AFB. When you get out of town the highway (67) takes 2 sweeping turns to the left. At the second one (exactly 6 miles after the first), turn right on Grandview Highway. From that intersection, it will be 6.5 miles to the sand wash. It will be on the right-hand side of the road.

The sand wash area covers over 77,000 square yards with miles of trails so the more people we have, the more time we have to wheel. If you have a truck (or a semi-off-road trailer) we can haul junk back and forth to the dumpsters with bring it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
940 Posts
Here's a little direction help left over from last year.

From Mountain Home:

·
Registered
940 Posts
From Boise:

Overhead View:

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Here's some pictures. http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8CYtG7Fq2cMaW&notag=1
I think we had more metal than last year but not as much trash. The coolest thing I think I saw looked like a canopy for a fighter jet. I actually think WWOR should invest in some signage for the area with a picture of all the trash on it. And put something to the effect, "Please pick up your trash after shooting so we don't have to." My real feelings involved a lot of profanity towards these folks that trash the place. I've been shooting and riding motorcycles all of my life and I've never left trash anywhere.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I actually think WWOR should invest in some signage for the area with a picture of all the trash on it. And put something to the effect, "Please pick up your trash after shooting so we don't have to."

You could do that, but they would probably be the first things that got shot up over the next year. It's just like everything else. It's always the small minority of jerks that do the damage the rest of us are blamed for.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
You could do that, but they would probably be the first things that got shot up over the next year. It's just like everything else. It's always the small minority of jerks that do the damage the rest of us are blamed for.[/quote]

Probably not if they were put next to the highway entrance. It is pretty close to the Air Base and that highway has a lot of traffic. but there are always those who defy all logic.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I would see about talking to Rick at the sheriffs. Now that they have the Citizens on Patrol I am sure they could do more frequent checks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I didn't see any media coverage of what you did. If you are going to have a club clean-up event, why not do it some day besides a liberal hippie tree-hugger day, and try to get good PR for it? On tree hugger day, you just get drowned out by asshats like AL Gore et al.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Got the start of a weight total for the cleanup for you guys. 1620 lbs for the trailer full of truck cab parts.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Because Spartacus, we are not worried about what they are doing just what we are doing to be proactive in our community.

·
Registered
15 Posts
By choosing to do it on earth day, you validate it. The earth day crowd is actually the enemy of off-roaders. By embracing their day and not getting PR credit for it, you miss a chance to improve positive visibility of the hobby. The work was in the picking up of trash (I wasn't there), the effort to make sure there was a 30 second clip of it on the evening news would have paid off.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Channel 7 and 2 were invited by the State ATV Association=no show. Mtn Home news is going to do an article. State ATV guys are submitting it for national publicity through the national ATV organizations. BLM is trying to get some publicity through their channels.
I believe the effort was made to get some publicity.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't see any media coverage of what you did. If you are going to have a club clean-up event, why not do it some day besides a liberal hippie tree-hugger day, and try to get good PR for it? On tree hugger day, you just get drowned out by asshats like AL Gore et al.
The first WWOR clean up was held on that day by pure chance. I went to an area and it made me sick to see the trash, so I set a date in my head and worked toward it. I never knew if it was only going to be me out there or not, but I didn't care, I was going to do something about the problem. I organized the first clean up solely on my own, beating feet to businesses to get donations for something that had no history. I didn't even sell it as a club event at the time, just something the businesses were trusting me to do on my word. Now, it just so happened that afterwards I found out that date I picked happened to be Earth Day.

But, here's the rub, if we are standing shoulder to shoulder and doing the work that needs to be done to clean up the ground we all use, can they ( "liberal hippie tree-hugger " as you so kindly put it) really bash us, or do they have to agree to what we are doing? I personally like the idea of doing it on Earth Day.

But lastly Spartacus, tell me, were you out there helping pick up trash? Did you volunteer to sponsor the event? Did you volunteer to help get donations or make phone calls? And lastly, did you go out of your way to offer your help in gaining us "media coverage"?

I am not trying to call you out, just simply wondering why you would be so quick to criticize what we have all accomplished. Cleaning up an area is something we all should partake in, not solely for "media coverage", but for self satisfaction, for doing the right thing even when no one knows about it. If you are by yourself do you pick up trash? Or do you only do it when others around can see you do it, and commend you on a "job well done"?

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 37 Posts