Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1990 efi 460. Unfortunatly it didnt come with the computer or other sensors and I didnt pull it.

I need some links or info on what I need to get to make the ol girl run again :drive:

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
what all you need to know? I have a computer for a Efi 460....they are a speed density motor....no mass air for this engine...i may have almost everything you need really.....I will tell you everything i know about them and that may make you half smart about them....

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet! I will take some time tonight and go threw that site.

Basically I have a big motor in the back of my truck right now and about all I know about it is its a Ford and its a 1990 efi 460. I need to know about all the sensors I need, the computer, and hopefully some info on hooking it all up.

I also need to know what kind of upgrades I can do to the motor cheaply. Can I put a bigger cam in it without screwing up the computer? What about heads? Can I put a set of 68 heads on it to get the higher compression?

Just having a fresh efi big block is probably going to double my HP from my anemic international 345. Im kind of just looking down the road.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Heads you're screwed on unless you're going to work over the stock ones, they are completely different from the older carbed models, if you go with older heads you can't use the EFI. There are a few RV cams to go with, a few companies have headers for the motor.

If you want a tunable system and have future ability to stroke it w/o problems you could go with a Megasquirt.

I've got the same engine, minus the puter and am going to go that route with the future of 20 psi twin turbo system in about three years.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I dunno, alot of time I am car stupid, but a thought I have always had, is taking a throttle body set up from Chev, say 91 for a safe year, and putting it on a (edelbrock for a name) aftermarket 4 bbl manifold, and instant EFI, grab the brain from said donor rig, and a painless wiring harness...........

Cheaper to go megasquirt, or Holley projection?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts