Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a grooving tool to "customize" some tires. I would like to borrow or rent, but may buy if the used price is right. Any advice on the process would be appreciated also.

Thanks!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dont know what your looking to spend but if you slam "ideal tire groover" into any search engine you'll get a ton of sites listing them for $50 an up an that comes with a head an 7 blades but there pretty small..Order you up a batch of #5 square blades ,and a #5 head,should be like $5 bucks for the pack of blades an $7 for the head..#5 is a 1/4 inch groove an pretty mcuh the norm of what guys are using,unless your trying to remove entire lugs then your in a whole diffrent ball game
I've done 6 sets of Super Swampers ranging from 36" to 44"TSL's an Boggers,and I'll share a few tips with ya
Let the tires sit out in the sun for a few hours before you start to help softing them up
Plug the groover in an let warm up for at least 30 min..it says 15-20 in the directions but if you let er sit for 30 it seems to hold the heat alot better,making the cuts easier an faster.Then make like 4-6 cuts an let it sit for about 15-30 secounds to get some heat back in the blade
If its your 1st set,get ya a piece of chalk or grease pen an draw a few lines on how you want to cut,an this is to just visualize what you want,instead of making some cuts an being like oh shit that sucks,or not what i had planned
Make sure you set the depth according to tire tread depth,you dont want to be down into the cords.Depending on tread depth when i did mine,NEW ,I set it the same depth as the tread bar
An if there used an you want to remove the tread bar,i put the depth to like a 1/16th or 32nd of the actual tire carcass,an cut out the tread bar an then cut the treads
Since its your 1st set and since you didnt list tire size,brand etc, I'll say your looking at at least 2 hrs to do 4 tires.
Anywhooooooo hope that helps ya out a bit.. :beer:

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is great info. 39.5x18-15 boggers. I planned on drawing it out first. I appreciate the information. It will be a little while before I perform this task, I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
530 Posts
What/how you looking to cut the Boggers?Theres really not that much you can do to them as far as cutting lugs.I've seen a few diffrent grooves on them,but your kind of limited to what ya can do because of just the 2 lugs,one small one large.I had 2 sets of boggers that i grooved an siped,one set of 39.5's an a set of 44's *kicking my ass for selling the 44's,had a 150 TRAIL miles on em an dude cut me a smoking deal for 11 hundo on em* but thats back when i thought I was getting out of the game..
On the 39.5's I cut out the entire lil lug,sazall,you'd be there a week per tire with the #5 blades.anywhooooooooo,i also forgot to tell you,that with the ideal groover an blades you can flip the head an use the open end of the blade to sipe your tires as well,it'll help the lugs flex abit better,an add a lil extra grip.Also forgot to mention that with grooving/siping an taking em on the rocks there going to chunk no way around that.Lower the air pressure the less they seem to chunk in my experience,but your still goin to have chunking either way..GLad to help post up some pics when you get em done,or throw up a pic of how your going to chop em up an might be able to help ya out with a design.WHat you plan to use them in?mud boggs,rocks,etc?

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
groovy contest!

Hey! lets have a contest!

who can come up with the coolest/best design for the boggers!!!

the prize could be the satisfaction of knowing you are cool in your mind!!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

every one get your submissions in!!! lol :thumb:

·
Registered
38 Posts
RockPunk said:
If its your 1st set,get ya a piece of chalk or grease pen an draw a few lines on how you want to cut,an this is to just visualize what you want,instead of making some cuts an being like oh shit that sucks,or not what i had planned
Amen man - I wish I woulda done that before I laid into these with the angle grinder

Of course, as you can see, these aint zactly $1,100 tires, but now that I have that stupid pattern started, I have to finish it.

PS - you would have to be retarded to try grooving a decent set of tires with an angle grinder....No depth control (aside from the fact that it smells like 7 sorts of @$$

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll keep that in mind!

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
You will wnat to groove them fo rthe rocks. I took set of Boggers through Moab at 4 pounds of air and they did about as good as a TSL with 10 pounds of air. I sold them and got some TSL's

They were the king in the mud though. 8)

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

1 - 9 of 9 Posts