Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 Powerstroke started running like crap wed. night. It feels and sounds like its running on 6 cylinders. The check engine light is on and autozones code reader told me my o2 sensors are bad. Diesels dont have o2 sensors as far as I know. It also brought up a few misfire codes.

Checkers code reader didnt bring up anything.

I hate taking vehicles in but I have an appointment monday. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Im leaning towards a bad or clogged injector but I dont know. The truck only has 55k on it. It still should be new.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The only thing I know about on the 7.3 Powerstroke is they are notorious for I think it's the cam position sensor going bad. I think they normally don't run when those go out though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
my 01 F-250 started stalling and missing real bad so I got on ebay and got a cam position sensor for $40 (they are $150+ at the dealership) remove the cannon plug and one bolt, install the new sensor and it runs like new. but if you get a good deal on a sensor you should buy an extra to keep in your glove box because when the sensor totally gives up it will leave you stranded!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Fuel filter ok?

·
Registered
151 Posts
don't listen to Nate he lives under a rock and has never owned a power stroke!!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
A CPS symptoms are that the engine usually dies while running or won't restart. Also Ford has just released a new CPS that is a whole lot cheaper, you can find it here: For a about $25 shipped Fordparts.com - Your best source for factory Ford parts

I would guess a bad wiring harness under one of the valve covers, or a bad injector, or bad injector control module.

Jeff

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm not much of a powerchoke I mean powerstroke...lol just kidding guys don't get all flustered. I would say that it is a fuel delivery problem could be bad wiring to injectors or bad injectors maybe but keep us posted :thumb:

·
Registered
151 Posts
"A CPS symptoms are that the engine usually dies while running or won't restart"

my powerstroke didn't die a single time, it would just shudder and stall but keep running, I changed the fuel filter twice and didn't have any effect, after i changed the CPS it instantly fixed the problem. the CPS has a lot of different symptoms ranging from stalling to dying; it is just an optical flash signal.

Change the CPS first before you throw a lot of money at this problem, that way even if it doesn't fix the problem you'll need to change it eventually anyway

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I changed the CPS about a month after I bought the truck (Last Fall) and it only has maybe 5000 miles on it. The truck would die when I floored it but did restart.

I am guessing something with the injectors as well. I am taking it in tomorrow to a buddies shop that wont charge me much to find the problem. Hopefully after that I can fix it.

I will post what was wrong. By the way......anyone looking for a 02 powerstroke?? Lots of new parts :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
totally unrelated truck and issues, but I trusted a new part and guessed it was good, even though it scoped as being good, it was just enough off to create major headaches.

I learned a valuable lesson, just because you replaced the part does not mean the new one is good, or still good.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They called me last night and said they knew it was an injector problem but they hadnt narrowed it down to what the problem was exactly yet. Should know before lunch Tuesday

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A CPS symptoms are that the engine usually dies while running or won't restart. Also Ford has just released a new CPS that is a whole lot cheaper, you can find it here: For a about $25 shipped Fordparts.com - Your best source for factory Ford parts

I would guess a bad wiring harness under one of the valve covers, or a bad injector, or bad injector control module.

Jeff

Jeff came the closest. The harness backed off the #8 injector under the valve cover. :lame: Ford sells a clip for 20 bucks to hold it on but my buddy just fabbed (or mickey moused....however you look at it) one out of mechanics wire.

FUN

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for updating us. Good to hear you got off fairly cheap then. :thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts