Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, get ready, here's the scenario. I have spent the past four summers learning how, (mostly on my own, and thanks to message boards like this one) and then doing a complete teardown and custom rebuild of my truck. I have learned a lot from the project, including welding, cursing, swearing, throwing things, and this weekend, painting.

The stats are:

74 k20, boyce d60, stock 14bff, 52" frt springs, ord shackle flip and 4inch springs rear, well built (pro) 383, nv4500, doubler, blazer fuel tank, the list goeas on and on.

35"pro comp mt's for now. 4.56 in the new axle, 4.10 in the rear w/ gov lock until i get it re-geared and detroited. I don't have the front prop-shaft yet, so temptation is not an issue.

No part on this truck was left untouched. I troe it down to the frame and have updated, freshened, or modified almost every system, from little stuff like re-routing e-brake cables, to full on trickery like the twin stick shifter or clutch linkage I built.

So tonight, well actually yesterday by a few minutes, I finally drove it for the first time. Around the block, twice. No doors, windshield, hood, bed, anything. It went surprisingly well, save for a sqeaky power steering pump.

Here is the madness:

I will have it painted and assembled by this thursday, the glass goes in Wed, but I will only have one day to work out the kinks before I have to leave for college in San Luis Obispo friday morning. Mind you I am in Portland, so a little math, carry the two and we arrive at around 20 hours driving.

SHOULD I DO IT????

I feel confident in my work, but I am sure that numerous things will pop up along the way. I am sure that my steering, suspension and brakes will b fine, and I think I can get her running well befoe then, but I am still unsure of the level of insanity involved here. Just a side note, my dad will be following in his small car, so no towing, but a saftey wise decision.

Lets hear some horror stories/encouragemnet, as I am about to make the decision on whether or not to try and take it with, or find a friends garage, admit partail defeat, and leave it behind to be brought back at christmas.

Thanks for reading and talking some sense into me.
Paul

·
Registered
781 Posts
pual, it's certainly not your ideal situation, but since you obviuosly know your vehicle in and out I'd say keep your tools where you can get to them easily, periodicly stop and check for loose things, pay close attention to odd noises, and go for it, but be prepared :thumb: also remember NO steady speeds, or long periods of idling until you get at least 500 miles on the new engine.
I say go for it, it's like your uncle says.............. :thumb:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the feedback. I have some stops planned at 1, 3, and six haour incriments, all with garage space I could potentially "borrow" for a few months.

I am already sorting out little stuff, zip tying this and tightening that, so the prognosis is good, but still iffy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah, here's one for anyone wanting a scare.

My oil has almost microscopic particles of what look to be metal in it. I broke in the cam at 1900-2100 (varying) for 20 mins and then changed the oil. Thats when most of it turned up, but I pulled just the filter off today (putting a remote one in) and when I poured it out, it looked like a small swirl of silver in the oil. No huge chunks, just like a pearl paint job in my oil.

Anyone else had this? When should it go away???

I don't have any weird noises, but I am worried sick. It was pro-built by, well, a seasoned profesional, but sat for about a year before start up. I doubt it is machining garbage, but I don't know if I could tell the difference betwen that and fried bearings.

·
Registered
781 Posts
don't worry yet man, that's normal, the shop should have told you to run the motor for about a half hour then changr the oil, I usually change it again and again real fast, my last 350 I changed the oil 3 times in the first 500 miles after the first change. the metal flakes your seeing are your rings seating and everything working it self in, if you keep getting metal in your oil after a few changes then get worried or get a sample tested at the local heavy equipment dealer :thumb:

p.s. I grew up in the SLO area, it's nice there. I still think california is a nice place to be from.........away from. too many people :scared:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Sounds like its normal to me. Like Steve said, its just breaking in. :mrgreen:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phew :mrgreen: on that one.

Ok, so its been decided, due to the tiny amount of time an all of the non-truck related things I need to do before I leave, it will be living on my friends farm an hour south of town for the winter. The only problem, how to get it there.

I can get a 3/4 ton frod or dodge capable of towing, but I am coming up short on a car hauler.

Has anyone used u-haul trailers for a rig this size. The weight rating says four thousand, and even with no box I think my rig is way past that.

Do any other outfits rent tandem axle trailers?

Better yet, anyone in the portland area have one. :beer: (x whatever quantity you ask for) :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
lol....I hauled a chevy dually with one once, and when they asked me what I was hauling, I told them a Geo Metro.....lol... :thumb: :thumb:

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Same here we hauled a blazer on one and told them we were hauling a Chevy cavalier :rotfl: :rotfl: Also you might want to check industrial rental places and places that sell trailers I think those are youre best bets for a trailer that won't be just a little car hauler :rotfl: :rotfl:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts