Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right,

So I have this alternator that I won in a drawing that is suppose to be a beast. Unfortunately it isn't great in the low RPM range. Is there an alternator shop around that has one of those spiffy bench testers that will print out what it's out put is. I would like to have it documented before I go to sell it.

I tried to run the alternator on my bronco, but it would not put out enough with my carb'd engine since my engine idle's low. I ended up doing a 3g conversion and now just want to get rid of this alternator.

thanks,
dan

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Can't you just put a smaller pulley on it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We tried everything - when I won it, the guy was at least honest and said he wasn't sure if it was going to work well on a bronco. Here is the link to the winning from classicbroncos.com http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77438 It worked fine when I was willing to have my bronco idling higher than I like, but I like a nice quiet bronco at idle. Plus now I am looking at the serpentine setups.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Most of the high amperage altenators work at a higher RPM band. I had a 200 amp that wouldn't kick in until the rpms were above 1000. Thats just the nature of the beast.
Any parts house will have a alternator tester, usually Schmucks and Vato Zone have them. Napa and Carquest as well.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Try taking it to DURABILT. They are at 215 1st Ave. S. Nampa. That's where the blvd splits down by Fred Meyers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts