Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my adventure in trying to find a set of 3/4 or 1 ton axles I fell upon an old indian in fort hall with his own personal junkyard. He had a ton of chevy trucks sitting around. I asked him if he had any 1 ton 4x4 trucks that I could buy the axles out of. He replied that he had 3 or 4 of them. Then he specified, "You know the ones with the big front axles!" " I needed the money so I sold them to a recking yard in Idaho Falls for $75 a truck." Then he grunted a bit mumbling something to the effect that buying from a junkyard is expensive but selling something to them just sucks. I walked away that day in amazement. The quest for Inexpensive 1 tons continues.

Do you have a simular experience? Or a cheap set of 1 tons?

·
Registered
374 Posts
When I picked up my 14B from the local wrecking yard the guy told me he crushes all his stuff because he can get more money per ton of scrap then he would waiting for someone to purchase the axles. I paid $175 for the 14B. He told me that is the standard price on ALL axles!!!

I went through the entire yard, and even checked the crushed stuff on the trailer. Lots of D60 fronts from chevys CRUSHED! and not a single HP60 ford axle in sight.

I can only imagine how many he had crushed...

·
Registered
360 Posts
There's a guy in the Thrifty Nickel (I don't know when this one came out...it was sitting on a friend's desk for awhile before I read it) advertising a "Mid 1970's Chevy Dually rolling chassis" for $200. The phone number in the ad is 221-7325. Wait...assume area code of 208. So it would be 208-221-7325.

If I had room for it that puppy would be in my garage right now. Even if I don't have a need for the axles right now.

-Mikey-

·
Registered
18 Posts
when I found my front ford sixty it was under a 85 ford dually with a bad rear end picked it up for $350.00 took the truck to the salvage yard and traded the truck for a normal high pinion ford dana 60. just watch the thrifty nickel and watch the old farms and you can still find them for a decent price.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
There's a guy in the Thrifty Nickel (I don't know when this one came out...it was sitting on a friend's desk for awhile before I read it) advertising a "Mid 1970's Chevy Dually rolling chassis" for $200. The phone number in the ad is 221-7325. Wait...assume area code of 208. So it would be 208-221-7325.

If I had room for it that puppy would be in my garage right now. Even if I don't have a need for the axles right now.

-Mikey-
I called it was 2wd

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
When I found my ford dana 60, it was also in the thrifty nickel. Guy had an ad listing front and rear axles from a 78 f-250 for $700 for the pair. Went and looked, it was 60 front 70 rear. He didnt want to seperate. After 2 hours of bullshittin, we left with 1 dana 60 front axle for $300

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sorry about that. Dunno what had me thinking it was a 4x4.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
What's the Thrfty Nickle? I'm guessing some sort of Swap, Buy, Sell Guide??

·
Registered
698 Posts
What's the Thrfty Nickle? I'm guessing some sort of Swap, Buy, Sell Guide??

Nate, the Thrifty Nickel is now known as American Classified's. They are the free ones at the door of every business in town.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I still think the beat way is to hit the auctions and just buy the whole truck. I see them all the time and some go pretty cheap. Mid 80s chevy average 1000 and fords with kingpins average about 1300. Plus you get the rest of the drivetrain. Another thing is make friends with some farmers they always have trucks and when a farm gets sold they usuallygo up for auction.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yeah, I can't seem to get with the program on that Thrifty Nickel name change. And that only happened what, years ago? Worse yet, I still call it the Nifty Pickle when I'm talking. In my defense, I haven't said that to anyone where they didn't know what I was talking about.

Though this is the other end of the cost spectruem, I thought y'all might to look at a manufactured Dana 70 front end that I found here:

http://differentialeng.com/DanaProducts.htm

And while you're there, take a look at the 8 lug FF tandem 9" axles. What fun it would be to have money to throw at people like this for whatever the hell you want under your next project. I need to be independently wealthy, that's all there is to it.

-Mikey-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts