Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with add a leafs?

I was thinking of putting a set in the back of my truck to lift it about 2". As it sits unloaded, it's basically level, though with the way the body is shaped, it looks like the back is sagging.

I was also considering airbags, but the airbags aren't really going to give me much lift over what I have because they can only go so tall. It's nice that I could air up/down based on what I'm hauling, but I don't have plans on pulling a super heavy trailer, camper, etc.

Is the ride with an add a leave going to be terrible? I don't expect my truck to ride like a car, but I don't want it to ride like the axle is welded to the frame either.

I can get a set of Skyjacker 2" lift add a leaves for $90, Tuff Country for $70

Airbag setup is about $300.

Also, anyone around here that would carry add a leafs? 3" wide.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just build some blocks and get you some longer U-bolts. You wont sacrifice ride but it will level you out. 2" is a lot more than you think. You may only need one. Some rigs have enough extra bolt to squeeze an inch out of without even having to get new U-bolts.

My .02

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I forgot to mention it's already got a 4.25" factory block.

2" is not that much. The front has a 2" lift and that's what "leveled" the truck out, so I figure 2" in the back will put it close to factory rake. Plus 2" add a leafs are cheap compared to 1"

What is used for the center pin. I'm pretty sure I'll need a longer one with an add a leaf thrown in there. Just a piece of all thread? or it is something special?

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
With the add-a-leaf kit should be replacement center bolts, I have had add-a-leafs in a few different trucks and they serve their purpose, Stiffen ride a little but not very noticable. The bad thing is when you load it heavy the truck will squat back down to the overload, so it may appear to squat more when loaded.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
True. I guess if I find it's bad enough like that, I can always put air bags.

Tuff Country an ok brand for add a leafs?? Or is there a brand that's better. I found a set of Tuff Country ones for $70 shipped. Skyjacker is $90

This is with 3000lbs in the back of the truck. Was sitting at around 9600lbs. First pic in AK, 2nd here in ID.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm running tuff country 3" AAL. I just put them in, it had 2" AAL in. I bought mine from Les Schwab for $80.00. They have 2" in stock. The ride is a little stiffer but not bad.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Tumbleweed said:
BDS and Rancho are carried by Bucks.
Yep, cheaper too. I've had mine a year or so and it is still ridin high even after adding a shim and small block. BDS is actually the new name for old Black Diamond Suspensions. I've added a few other BDS gizmos and they all seem to be holding up good.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
BDS has been Big Dick's Suspension for several years.
Black Diamond which was a Warn product is now owned by Superlift. That comes from the warranty manager at Warn Industries.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Tumbleweed said:
BDS has been Big Dick's Suspension for several years.
Black Diamond which was a Warn product is now owned by Superlift. That comes from the warranty manager at Warn Industries.
Alrighty then, that must be why I bought it.
So I was lied to is that what your telling me ?
Wouldn't be the first time.
Thanks

Yep your right !
http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/bds/

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I ordered Superlift AALs. Was $85. Les Swabs wanted $80 for Tuff Country AALs, which on the net were $55.

Are there places in town that would have the teflon shims that go between the leafs? I'm guessing the AAL won't come with them? The last spring pack I put together was for an FJ40 and it didn't have any shims. So are they really needed?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I got the AALs yesterday. Not bad, I ordered them Monday and they showed up Tuesday night.
Only thing is they were the wrong ones. R222, which a fellow at Skyjacker said were the correct ones, well they are 2.5" wide springs. No diesel Ram 2500 that I know of has that width of springs.

I had to reorder new ones, 3" wide. Of course they are like $50 more.

·
Registered
346 Posts
nate said:
Well I got the AALs yesterday. Not bad, I ordered them Monday and they showed up Tuesday night.
Only thing is they were the wrong ones. R222, which a fellow at Skyjacker said were the correct ones, well they are 2.5" wide springs. No diesel Ram 2500 that I know of has that width of springs.

I had to reorder new ones, 3" wide. Of course they are like $50 more.
I think the 2.5" are for Durangos, maybe Dakotas, and Jeeps.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:darn: On the webpaged I ordered them, they listed:

5.9L, V8 - 2500 Series, 3/4 Ton, 4WD
3.9L, V6 - 1500 Series, 1/2 Ton, 4WD
5.2L, V8 - 1500 Series, 1/2 Ton, 4WD
5.9L, V8 - 1500 Series, 1/2 Ton, 4WD
5.9L, 6 Cylinder - 2500 Series, 3/4 Ton, Quad Cab, 4WD
5.9L, 6 Cylinder - 2500 Series, 3/4 Ton, 4WD
5.9L, 6 Cylinder - 2500 Series, 3/4 Ton, Club Cab, 4WD

The 3" wide ones list this:

5.9L, V8 - 3500 Series, 1 Ton, 4WD
5.9L, V8 - 2500 Series, 3/4 Ton, 4WD
5.9L, V8 - 1500 Series, 1/2 Ton, 4WD
5.9L, V8 - 3500 Series, 1 Ton, Quad Cab, 4WD
5.2L, V8 - 2500 Series, 3/4 Ton, 4WD
3.9L, V6 - 1500 Series, 1/2 Ton, 4WD
5.2L, V8 - 1500 Series, 1/2 Ton, 4WD
8.0L, V10 - 3500 Series, 1 Ton, 4WD
8.0L, V10 - 2500 Series, 3/4 Ton, 4WD
5.9L, 6 Cylinder - 3500 Series, 1 Ton, 4WD
5.9L, 6 Cylinder - 2500 Series, 3/4 Ton, 4WD
5.9L, 6 Cylinder - 3500 Series, 1 Ton, Quad Cab, 4WD
5.9L, 6 Cylinder - 2500 Series, 3/4 Ton, Quad Cab, 4WD
5.9L, 6 Cylinder - 2500 Series, 3/4 Ton, Club Cab, 4WD

So apparently they use the same springs on a little V6 1/2 ton truck that they use on a 1 ton dualie?

So the place I ordered them from said I can return them, but I pay shipping and a 20% restocking fee. I laughed at the guy and told him that wasn't going to happen. If they had put the correct info on their webpage, I would have ordered the correct ones the first time around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts