Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:what: Man, I don't think Idaho likes me very much.:mad: I've wheeled twice since I've been here, the second time I broke a main leaf, so my truck was out of commission for quite some time since they are custom, that is why I was unable to make the recent run and camping trip in early July. So, I get them installed recently, I decide I am gonna drive my truck to school for just today and then park it for a month or so before I drive it again just to keep it operable and "fresh". On the way home I get a sheriff pulling me over for a ticket because my tires stick out past the fender edges.( stupid **** Idaho lame law :lame: ) He took note of my mudd flaps but still dings me for a 52 buck ticket. I am mostly mad at the cop, not because he gave me a ticket, but that he was such a JACKASS in the way he spoke to me and acted like he did not have the time of day to answer my questions about whether or not I needed to fix the truck etc etc all questions I have due to my being new to the laws etc of this state. He was a jerk and has no idea what being a public SERVANT means since he clearly could've cared less to answer some questions. Non combative and non threatening questions, I might add for clarification sake, just honest, "ok now for clarity sake, now what officer? " type questions.
Again, this is not a cop bash post, I have several great friends who are cops and he was just doing his job, even though he could have decided upon his discretion to warn me or whatever, but it was his attitude, and since when he came up to me I was all "hows it going officer, yes sir, no sir, certainly, here is my lic. and registration. blah blah blah," IE: I know how to talk to the police, he just really aggravated the tar outa me.:pissed:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Canyon County Sheriff, I presume. (The story makes more sense if I do, lol) I've had similar problems with 'em.

Now the Idaho State Police is a different story.... right John?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
ISPs seem to actually be out there to serve. I've never had a problem with them. The only negative thing I have to say about them is I broke down on the road once and one stopped. He said, "Don't worry you'll get it started." I knew I wouldn't as I knew it was bad (turned out to be a broken timing chain). He said he'd be back in 15 minutes. I walked 9 miles to Stage Stop and no ISP never came back. Not a single person would pick me up either. So that irritated me. The next day I went and bought a cell phone, that was 10 years ago.

Boise PD I don't have anything good to say. All of my experiences with them have been negative. Wed. I got a ticket in Boise. Supposedly I was doing 49 in a 35mph zone. The car in front of me was supposedly doing 42mph according to the officer. I asked how that worked and he said I was gaining on him. The truth is I was gaining on him as when he saw the cop he slammed on the brakes hard. I on the other hand didn't shift gears, brake or move the accelerator at all because I thought I wasn't doing anything wrong. 35mph zone. I was doing 60km. Our VW speedo goes 20,40,60,80 and only has slashes for increments of 10 so there is no 35mph. 60km has always looked to be about where 35 should be. I figured it out and 60km is actually 36 mph but definitely not 49mph which is what he claimed I was doing.

I don't have a problem getting a ticket if it is legit, just don't pull me over just to hassle me. And in Mountain Home that is the experience I've had with one officer. 12 stops and no ticket because I've never been doing anything wrong.

Of course this is all about individual experiences. Cops are just like us, they have bad days too.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've only ever had issues with one officer and that was a City of Caldwell officer. He was a total jerk from the beginning and it only got worse, had a van pull out in front of me on 10th in front of the Chevron, it had just started to rain so when I stepped down on the brakes the Jeep started to slide and I couldn't steer, stomped on the throttle to get in front of/over and the cop thought I was drag racing when he looked up from writing a ticket.

Other than that every other time (something around a dozen or so) I've been stopped has been pleasant, even when they had the drug dog search my truck. :D

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Hmmmm, lets see, I have had a drag racing ticket when my rear tires chirped coming off of the line at a turn signal and the best ever, impersonating an officer...... '63 VW beetle, lowered and highly modified. Some time when we are hanging around I will tell the story!
Oh yeah, had 2 cops drive by when a buuddy and I were broke down in his cruiser on a sunday between Boise and Horseshoe bend, a guy I had met one fron NW cruisers stopped and checked on us and right before our truck and trailer arrived one off duty cop stopped to check on us. That was over 3 hours sitting along the highway on a busy sunday in august. Go figure

sorry you had that experience, just grin a bear it (pun intended). Unfortunatly it depends upon the officer at the time and how much of a power trip they are on. As you have mentioned I have known some cool cops but just like anthing else, there are good and bad ones!

later

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
About 10-11 years ago got stopped in the dump truck by Officer Lockhart; he is the Boise area commercial enforcement tyrant. Our pit required us to drive through a 10-12" deep ditch with water before we got out to Eagle Rd. Our brake drums usually got wet there. He stopped me for a routine safety check. He checked everything, and included my air brakes for leak down, etc. Then he noticed the rear brake drums were wet. He said, "you are leaking brake fluid and you will park here until it is fixed. I laughed at him,
(not a good idea-but it was funny); and asked him if he did not just check my "air" brakes, and where would I get brake fluid from? He got pretty red faced and told me to "just get out of my sight."
He has smiled andwaved at me every time we pass each other since then.

JT should get a kick out of this one.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
If you are wearing 33s or bigger you are going to get a ticket for it sometime. It does nothing to your record, but once they are on to you, well, they are on to you. $52 bux, sucks.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Lets see knock on wood 44 boggers and 47LTBs with no flares and no tickets ever....

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Lets see knock on wood 44 boggers and 47LTBs with no flares and no tickets ever....
lehi, i dont think i have ever seen or heard of the burb comuting in downtown boise tho.

maybe some half assed flares or flaps will calm the police down some. i know they never look cool but its better than 52 bucks every time you run to the store. nature of the beast, the law sucks but we all have to abide.

on cops, i have earned my ass chewings fair and square. i own alot of highway in idaho and oregon(from tickets). you cant be mad if you were having a little too much fun every now and then and get caught, just be happy the times you got away with it.

just my drunken two pennies. trev out!

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Trev must be nice to be drunk in Korea, And yes I do not drive in Downtown Boise, but dense I may be dumb I am not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts