Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a 22re in my 4runner and before I put it in, I went through the whole engine and re-gasketed it. During the course of re-gasketing and putting the engine in, I managed to do 2 things that i believe might have messed everthing up.

First, when i went put the timing chain back on the cam, I had to move the cam VERY slightly to make the timing gear fit back on it.

The second thing is that I labeled all of the injector electrical wires but #'s 2 and 3 fell off so I didn't know which plug went where so i just took a guess.

Another thing that might be playing a role is a vacuum line coming from "the resonator" (<---according to the book). This line is supposed to go into the airbox just before the mass air sensor, but my 4runner airbox has no such opening.

RESULTS: I got the engine to TDC and TRIED to time it. I tried everything with the distributor but nothing works. The engine wants to run at like 40 degrees retard. Everytime i bring it anywhere near 0 degrees it dies. Also, it will only reach a max RPM of 2600-2850. ANY HELP plz?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sounds like your dist is a tooth off. But that all depends on the "little bit" that you had to move the timing gear to get the chained lined up. I've never had to move the gears to get the chain on once they were lined up properly.

I just put a 22re in my 4runner and before I put it in, I went through the whole engine and re-gasketed it. During the course of re-gasketing and putting the engine in, I managed to do 2 things that i believe might have messed everthing up.

First, when i went put the timing chain back on the cam, I had to move the cam VERY slightly to make the timing gear fit back on it.

The second thing is that I labeled all of the injector electrical wires but #'s 2 and 3 fell off so I didn't know which plug went where so i just took a guess.

Another thing that might be playing a role is a vacuum line coming from "the resonator" (<---according to the book). This line is supposed to go into the airbox just before the mass air sensor, but my 4runner airbox has no such opening.

RESULTS: I got the engine to TDC and TRIED to time it. I tried everything with the distributor but nothing works. The engine wants to run at like 40 degrees retard. Everytime i bring it anywhere near 0 degrees it dies. Also, it will only reach a max RPM of 2600-2850. ANY HELP plz?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts