Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I Have an 86 ford bronco and the original 302 wore out so i bought a new 302 out of a friends wrecked bronco of the same year. I have already made the change with the engine and transmission together never disconnecting the two, however now that everything is done, the berg warner tranny is not shifting up. I have checked the fluid and it's ok. As far as I can tell everything is connected. The transmission goes into gear(D,R,N) just fine, but when driving just will not shift up. It feels likes it's slipping but it never shifts. I would be awsome if anyone has any suggestions. I don't know if there's possibly an electronic problem or if it's internal? If needed my email is [email protected] anything is appreciated!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Borg Warner? I thought ford made their own auto trannies.

Only BW auto tranny i've ever seen/heard of was in the early scouts.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Sounds like the vacuum line to the tranny isnt hooked up. There is a line from the intake manifold that runs down to the tranny. On a chev its on the passenger rear. Not sure where its at on the Ford version.

I bet thats it. :thumb:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought it was the vaccumm also. however there is no vaccum on this model. Not like the chevy's. I was told that it's probably hydraulic.
It is a stock Borg Warner and I believe a T18 or T19. Whatever the stock one is for the 86 ford trucks with the 302 fuel injection.

·
Registered
545 Posts
T-18 and 19's are manuals. Can't offer any help having only owned one ford in my life, and it was a manual as well.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
if its a t-18or t-19 it is a synchro tranny. could be your synchro's are shot. however if it is an auto tranny it would be an AOD which has cable linkage that if not adjusted properly won't allow you to shift up...or unless your clutches are stuck together like a tranny i had once

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's the AOD and i'm pretty sure that the linkage is hooked up right. There's not much to get wrong. At this point i'm to the conclusion that the clutches are stuck together. I works great in first gear but will not shift up like it's suppose to. It acts like its slipping and there's no power to increase speed the engine just wrappes out like a manual would if the clutch was pushed in.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
yup sounds like the clutches have stuck together....I have tranny that does the same thing that your describing. Can you swap in your old transmission you had before or have you gotten rid of it allready?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fortunately i do still have the other i can swap. Just not too enthusiastic about dropping the tranny. Just got the thing all put back together and was hoping for an easier alternative. Guess not. Thanks for your help though guys. Nice to know there's guys that are willing to help out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well... after changing the tranny torque converter, ecm, speed sensor, and speed sensor module i found the problem with the O2 sensor. Aparently it is connected and if not connected properly will cause the tranny to not shift. Just glad i got it figured out. Thanks everyone!!

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
This is my neighbor, saw it runnin' and asked what the problem ended up being, he said O2.

Hmmph.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts