Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1985 toy p.u. 22re FI....Ck eng light comes on as soon as you rev over 2000 rpm I have owned the truck for around 2 months and the light first came on 2 weeks after i bought it I havent done anything to it before the light came on. I jumperd the diagnostic connector and I get a code 12 which is supposed to be the knock sensor in one book and in the other book code 12 is ..no signal to the ecu..

as of now I have replaced:
the knock sensor
reset the airgap on the ignition pickup in the distributor
new plugs
new wires
new cap
new rotor
new o2 sensor
new ignitor
I have reset the ecu after each thing has been done to it and it resets code 12

so at this juncture I am looking for a toyota guru who may have an idea or two
I have yet to reset or replace:
the throttle pos sensor
the ecu itself
any ideas???
it runs OK but could have more power like it does before the computer goes into open-loop mode! aka ...chk.. eng.. light.. on!
PM me if you can help or 871-2220

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
my info says:
"Code 12: Knock Control sensor signal has not reached judgement level in succession--Defective Knock Control Sensor circuit, Defective knock control sensor, or Electronic Control Unit (ECU)"
double, triple check all the wires from the knock sensor to the ecu. also, find someone with an 85 like yours and borrow the ECU and plug it in and see what happens.. That will tell you if it is the ECU.
Also, CHECK YOUR GROUNDS!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i did make a long reply and It is now lost ???....!!!!
but it said that all the grounds are new and or cleaned! firewall to block ,,,,under dash to ecu..... batt - fenderwell as well as the block!... I was a cert. heavyline tech at more than a few Auto dealerships in boise until 2000...(just for reference) before I admit that this toyota (that I love) has me just shaking my head....BTY I dont have access to a tester ecu. though it would be totally helpful.....baffled .....I am about ready to dump it at the dealership with a blank check as i bend over and grab my ankles.....(sniff!)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bty thanks AL

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I have an ECU if you want it.. It was given to me, don't know if it works or not... supposedly it does.:what:
pay for the ride, and its yours.
also have the wiring harness to go with it...

P.S. its AJ, not AL
:rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry bout the name mixup :darn:
it was :beer: 30 ...If I cant come up with a solution I'll probably send you some $$ to maybe ship it to me ??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts