Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys,

Here is the platform....'85 military CUCV 1-1/4 ton 6.2L diesel, auto, with the D60-14 bolt combo with 4:56 gears, Detroit locker in rear, NP205 t-case.
I'm wanting to turn it into a rockcrawler to take the place of my soon to be gone '97 Ranger rockcrawler.
I'm not that familiar with the Chevy platform, so I am looking to you for advice in the suspension category.
What I am planning on doing is removing the bed and front clip (to save to put back to stock if I ever sell it). Tube the rear, and a cage and get an old front clip to narrow, similar to Sandman's, to be able to run 38-40" Swampers and for better visibility (plus the added benefit of lightening the whole truck).

What I need from you is some flexing suspension ideas that can be done as cheap as possible. I know of the Ford shock tower mod for longer shocks up front, but would like to know what other ideas you have.

I was planning on just adding a 4" or 6" Tough Country or BDS lift because I've heard they flex the best. Plus I already have the rear shackle flip, which I will use with maybe a 2" block, if necessary.
Do I need to do the crossover steering with the lift? I know it's a good idea, but for money reasons, that will have to wait.
Any one have pics of the crossover setup on a Chevy with the D60?

Thanks,
Dean

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Sounds like a fun project! :thumb:

You can swap in Blazer rear spings to the front for 4" of very flexy lift for dirt cheap. See the 52" spring thread for that info. That is what I did and I have plenty of room for 40" tires. You need to go crossover at the same time though as it will move your axle forward 2".

I did a homemade flip in the rear and left the stock springs.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
268 Posts
The 52" springs will have WAY too much droop for the stock steering setup. They flex really well. See my reply to "Chevy springs" in the Gen. 4x4 forum.

Hydro assist steering is also a very good idea. I just got back from a trip running 36's and a welded front and it was nearly impossible to steer. You can turn easier if the front isnt locked, but it still puts a lot of stress on the frame and steering system. You might also want to look into bracing the frame around the steering box. They are prone to cracking, especially with big tires and hard off road use. There are several companys that carry a weld in brace.

For cheap brakelines you can use some from a 2wd 3/4 ton (1/2 ton may work also) chevy pickup for the front. They work fine in my scout with 52" springs, but the mounting point is different than the chevy so they may or may not work. A 79 4wd F250 rear hose works good on the back. You will have to use an adapter to connect the hardline, as the ford connection is smaller, and it should be good for atleast 4-6" of lift using the stock mounting points.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Body mods sound cool I think if you chopped and narrowed the bed that would look cool just go to a wrecking yard and get a different bed to do it too. Xover steering is a must even though 3/4 ton steering is different looking its basically swinging through the same arc. I flexed my blazer without a xover and couln't even turn it one direction. Xover is probably not an option. I think the 52" spring thing is a good idea but remember you will need longer beefier shackles in front and much longer shocks to get the full advantage of a longer spring. By the way I have been running Pro Comp ES 3000 (one of the least expensive shocks out there) that were the longest they make and they work great no need to spend 300 or more on really nice shocks mine were 135 for 4 from Summit Racing. Can't really think of much else hope this helps :rotfl: :rotfl: Post pics when you r done

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
One more thing are you sure the t-case is a 205 and not a 208 cause I have an 85 CCUV in my garage right now and it has an NP208 :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, duh, brain fart......NP208

Thanks for all the replies, guys. They all help, especially those about the brake lines.
I'm aware of the weak frame area around the steering box, and may brace that, but I've heard the beefier 1-ton frames do not suffer this same condition as the 1/2 & 3/4 frames.
I most likely will go with the cross-over steering. It will end up being one of the last things I do though, along with adding hydraulic assist steering, using a sourced ram and tap the box, similar to ones my friends use.
I will check out that 52" spring thread, thanks.

Dean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts