Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is going to be a long drawn out process but as of today it begins. I sold the motor and transmission out of my 2WD Toyota some time ago but just got the truck back last Saturday. I figured that I would shoot some pictures as it sits now and update this thread as I progress with the build.

Right now I have the front and rear 4WD Toyota axles and a 4.3L GM V-6 that are going to be going into this truck. I still need the transmission and t-case. I want to try a Turbo-350 or a 700R4 for the transmission. The t-case is still up in the air though.

I hope to get the rear axle swapped some time this week. Then I'll need to sell off the front Fabtech 2WD suspension to finance the front springs. Might need to save a little to get the front spring hanger kit. Oh well, it's a start.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
That's a great platform, and good plan. Good luck on implementation!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks Eric! I'm leaning towards either 3" or 5" Trail-Gear springs for the front and undecided about the rear. I might start getting things together for linking the rear suspension. I do like what Trail-Gear did in their Trail-Link rear suspension

Trail-Gear Inc > Trail-Link Suspension

I have four poly bushings right now so I guess I need to gather together four Johnny-Joints, some brackets, threaded inserts, and some link material.

For now I'll sling the 4WD rear axle under the 2WD springs and go from there.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eric I forgot to mention that I'll probably be calling when it is time to set up the front spring hangers.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well today I was able to yank out the 2WD rear axle and slip the 4WD version in under the springs. I reused the 2wd U-bolts and plates for a cheap U-bolt flip. This raised the back end about 4" higher than it was with the 2WD axle. I grabbed a couple of my brother-in-laws old steel Chevy wheels and tires off of his 2000 1/2 ton and slapped on there for rolling it around. I think that the tires are LT265/75R16 in size. The top of the frame is level with the top of the tire. Wish I could post some pictures but I forgot the camera at home. I might be able to snap some in the morning. We'll see.

Mike

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
hey man thats awesome!! glad to see another toyota project in the works! sounds like your making good progress! Ill have to come check it out sometime!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This will be a long term project, but it is fun to make some progress. Of course any Turbo 350 transmission and NP208 transfer case donations would speed things along. :D

Oh well here are the pictures after the axle install.

Mike

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today I was bored and decided to start cutting out some lower link brackets for the rear axle. I began by designing them in a 3-D modeling program called Rino. I just used a 2-D view for this.

I then printed this out at a 1:1 scale so that it would print it full sized. The excess paper was trimmed from the printing and I was off to turn paper into steel.

Well, the only suitable piece of steel that I had was a chunk of 3" angle iron. I wasn't going to let that stand in my way, so I cut one leg of the angle off. I then transfered the center marks for the three holes onto the steel and broke out the drill bits and the hole saw. A little angle grinder work later and I ended up with this:

I guess I'll need to make a couple more and then get a little more strap and box them in.

Oh, with any luck I'll get a gift card to Trail-Gear for Christmas. Crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I've been thinking about this project lately and decided to take some drastic action. As mentioned earlier $'s are at a premium right now so I'm left to do things that are going to require a minimum of investment. I was looking at things and noticed I had a few cutting discs for the angle grinder, so I got to work, and ....

I whacked off the front inner fenders and radiator core support with extreme predigest. I thought that by getting this part of the build done and out of the way now it will make it a lot easier to fit the 4.3L V-6 as well as position things for the SAS. I had also planned on narrowing the front end before I was finished, so the inner fenders would have been in the way when it came time to do that as wewll.

Just for kicks I placed the other steering gear that I have next to the 2WD gear. I'm going to need help identifying what toyota this other gear box came from. It was given to me and I hope that it will work with a cross-over steering kit.

I'm going to try and get some measurements done this week & decide about using the old 4WD rear springs up front and where to place the front axle.

I need to round up a TH350 to NP205 adapter. Once I have this little chunk of metal I can start mocking up the drive train placement. I have a 3" body lift that was on the truck in its 2WD incarnation so I hope that I can keep the trans and t-case tucked up and away from the rocks.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts