Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with fitting a 700r4 into a pre-76 CJ5? After my performance at the fun crawl I am seriously looking at going automatic. I like the 700 because of the deeper first gear, the overdrive is just a bonus.
I am already running a chevy smallblock, so my major problems would be length and transfer case adaptors.
My current jeep T-18 tranny, with adapters and belhousing comes in at 23", and a 7000R4 comes in at 23.4" so that should be almost a wash. I know the problem is typically the adapter to the transfer case. The adapters I have seen are over 4" which is just way to much length to try to fit in.
Here's my critical question, will a NP205 bolt right up to a 700R4?? I have a NP205 that I was planning to swap into the jeep anyways. If they will mate up, what is the overall length of this combo? Is there any hope for me, or is this just not a plausible idea?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Case length on a 700 is 23.375, The NP205 T- case length is 12" (from yoke to mount flange) I believe the adapter is about 6 or 7 inches. That doesnt leave much for the d- shaft. You could gain 3 inches of d-shaft by using a 20 T-case and by going with a 300 T-case (9 inches) and adapter ( 3.65 inches) youd gain about 6 inches of d-shaft !!!!!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't even think of the 300 route, that looks to be the way to go. The 300/700R4 combo wuld be within an inch or so of my current drivetrain.

Anyone out there have a screamin deal on a dana 300 T-case, with twin stick, and crawler gears for $25 :deal: :deal:

·
Registered
385 Posts
joescj5 said:
Anyone out there have a screamin deal on a dana 300 T-case, with twin stick, and crawler gears for $25 :deal: :deal:
Check out Ebay. You can find good stuff on there for cheap if you watch for it. :thumb:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rudezuk said:
I think a th350 would be a better option than that 700....
If this were a trail only rig I would agree 100%, and i may even end up going that route. I just really like the thought of the lower first gear, and the overdrive. Plus i am kicking around the idea of moving my back axle back a bit anyways.
This whole project is just in the "What the heck are my options" phase anyways. It will be a little while before I actually start buying junk. I've still got a lot of investigating to do before I decide what to go with.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi Joe! Sounds like the rock crawling is in your blood now! I don't know much about auto trannies but I'll be here for moral support. You know...when you get in trouble for spending the grocery money on new driveline, etc...You can count on me to help justify it. :rotfl:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wildgoose said:
Hi Joe! Sounds like the rock crawling is in your blood now! I don't know much about auto trannies but I'll be here for moral support. You know...when you get in trouble for spending the grocery money on new driveline, etc...You can count on me to help justify it. :rotfl:
hehe, where were you when I bought the three piles of rust wagons out of Colorado sight unseen? I could have definetly used a little moral support then :rotfl: I spent way more than the grocery money on that trip :mrgreen:
You are right about the rock crawling being in my blood. I think it has been there ever since I bought my pile of a cj almost ten years ago. Now that I have actually driven it on some rocks, I have figured out a few (dozen) things I want to change.

My new plan is:
Auto Transmission
35" tires (but still keeping them kinda skinny)
ARB or OX in rear axle (not sure if I want to try to build up the 44 or replace it)
Power steering would be nice 8)

This should get me pretty competitive in the stock modified, that is if I learn how to drive whistle

·
Registered
385 Posts
joescj5 said:
Wildgoose said:
hehe, where were you when I bought the three piles of rust wagons out of Colorado sight unseen? I could have definetly used a little moral support then :rotfl: I spent way more than the grocery money on that trip :mrgreen:
You are right about the rock crawling being in my blood. I think it has been there ever since I bought my pile of a cj almost ten years ago. Now that I have actually driven it on some rocks, I have figured out a few (dozen) things I want to change.

My new plan is:
Auto Transmission
35" tires (but still keeping them kinda skinny)
ARB or OX in rear axle (not sure if I want to try to build up the 44 or replace it)
Power steering would be nice 8)

This should get me pretty competitive in the stock modified, that is if I learn how to drive whistle
As they say JEEP! Just Empty Every Pocket! :rotfl:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Rudezuk said:
Stay away from the OX locker.
Not to steal the thread but...

why would you stay away from the OX locker. I like the idea of a fully mechanical locker. Is it the cable or what?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts