Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1976 GMC K15 4x4 shortbed stepside 400/th350

There is no such thing as "fuel economy" with what I drive. So that brings me to looking into the "700r4" transmission.

Will this trans bolt right into place with my transfer case?

Should I consider a NP208 while this is going on, especially since I will have to get a new drive line!?

Finally, does anyone have a rough estimate how much this project will come up to if a shop does it?
And or, a D.I.Y.?

FEEDBACK PLEASE!

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I'd definately go with the 700/208 combo in your rig.. you would be getting rid of the 203 T-case, i'm guessing? the 203 is junk, and weighs a ton...the 208 is much lighter and stouter internally, even though it has an aluminum case. While you are at it, you may also want to search for a 241 case... almost identical to the 208, but deeper low range. If you take the parts to a shop and have them install it. figure in the area of $250-$350 for labor, not counting your drivelines. drivelines are $75 each around here to lengthen/shorten. I'm not even going to guess what your tranny and T-case are gonna cost over there... Lumpdog is a better resource than I am on that one.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
It might be easier to get the parts off a doner truck. You'll also need the bracket at the carburator for the throttle position sensor so the tranny will shift right. You'll also need a kit for the electronic side of it.

ITs all doable but unless you commute on the freeway in it. It might just be cheaper and easier to pick up a junker car to get around in.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
700/205 combo!! Advance Adapters has the shaft.

I run two of these combos and love it. I miss having the low gear of a 241, but the brute strength of the 205 is what I like. the 350 205 bolts right up after you change the output shaft.

OR, cut a little off of a 4wd shaft 700, bolt in the 1 7/8" spacer, and slap on the transfer case. This is definitely the easiest cheapest way.

I have one each way, and with the second style, it gives you room to run a CV shaft if you like, with the first your stuck with a standard shaft.

Wish I had more time to explain things.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts