Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone give me some details aboout this swap so i can do this to my jimmy. i am hoping to get the 4 inches everybody is talking about. thanks

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
What do you want to know? I have done several of these swaps. If you use 52" springs it will net you around 4" of lift but there are a lot of thing to consider, steering, driveshaft , shackle angle, bushings and pinion angles.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
You have to go to crossover steering, front driveshaft need to be lengthened, you really need a beefier shackle. To really get a good angle on the rear shackle you need to move the rear mount forward(not that hard). To get the most advantage out of this you need to relocate your upper shockmounts to use longer shocks.

Its not as cheap as it seems at first glance, there are many associated costs that make the overall price go up it is worth it in the end though.

I have seen poeple use old springs and only get 3" of lift, and sometimes newer springs will give you 5".

Any more questions let us know as has been said there are several of us on here who have done more than one of these

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey thanks, i am basically looking for the break down of what to do. i am a machinist in the military and can do machining and have access to a welding shop. will it end up being cheaper than a purchased lift kit?are there any benefits of doing the swap than buying a kit? well any info will appreciated and hopefully i can make most of the purchased items

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
It will not be cheaper in the short term unless you aleady have crossover steering. You CANNOT make 52" springs work with a push pull steering. There are many benifits to crossover steering and 52" front springs like no more bump steer, tighter turning radius and being able to steer with the axle articulated. Now the 52" benifit you several thing like lots of wheel travel, axle moved forward so oversized tires are not eating the rear part of the front fenders, soft ride and buy themselves cheap and easy to find used. Now you also will need to lengthen and get a longer travel drive shaft and longer relocated shocks that have 14-15"s of travel as well as longer breake lines. If you want just a 4" lift with a soft ride get BDS springs to fit you application and call it good. If you want tons of wheel travel then you need to spend the money and go for it. Send me a Pm and I will give you my numbers and I can explain the process over the phone.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
IMHO the 52" swap is still cheap because most poeple do the crossover thing eventually most poeple still change the upper shock mounts. With most lifts you will need longer brake lines, I have a stock part number so that brake lines will end up being about 60 bucks for all three. The reaon it is expensive is cause you have to do all of it right now. I think the 52 swap is better than the aftermarket springs cause you can always get lifted springs later if you want more lift.

As Kevin said though BDS and tuff country ez rides will both give good flex, it just kind of depends where you want to go with your rig, if its a DD that doesn't get a whole lot of off road use than you may be better with a lift spring. But if you are like alot of us on here you tend to lean to the more extreme end of the sport, if you are more on the extreme side of the sport then the 52 swap is the way to go.

One more concern you really can't run a sway bar either it moves the front axle to far forward. I really don't think my blazer handled much different without the sway bar but some like to leave it on there. As twistedjack said call him or you can call me too.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Oh, the memories! I giggle inside every time I think about my 52" swap. It was one of the most fun mods I did. It performed awesome, looked great, and I would do it again without hesitation. Only this time I would know it takes $3,000 to do it right! Yeah, been there - done that :thumb:

Let's See.................

1. Springs (new or used)
2. Bushing Kits
3. Bolts & Hardware
4. Shackles
5. Zero-Rates
6. U-Bolts
7. Shocks
8. Upper Mounts
9. Limiting Straps
10. Huge-angle / huge-slip drive-shaft
11. Full Hydro Steering System (or crossover, if you want to waste your money :shame:)
12. Brake Lines
13. Shims

I say go for it!!!! Just be prepared!........:drive:

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Oh, the memories! I giggle inside every time I think about my 52" swap. It was one of the most fun mods I did. It performed awesome, looked great, and I would do it again without hesitation. Only this time I would know it takes $3,000 to do it right! Yeah, been there - done that :thumb:

Let's See.................

1. Springs (new or used)
2. Bushing Kits
3. Bolts & Hardware
4. Shackles
5. Zero-Rates
6. U-Bolts
7. Shocks
8. Upper Mounts
9. Limiting Straps
10. Huge-angle / huge-slip drive-shaft
11. Full Hydro Steering System (or crossover, if you want to waste your money :shame:)
12. Brake Lines
13. Shims

I say go for it!!!! Just be prepared!........:drive:
depending if this is a designated trail rig and what he can make. i think that he can save alot of money with his resources. i know that when i walk into the machine shop on base i get alot of crazy ideas and a bulge in my pants (not literally). just do as much research as you can stand and listen to doug and kevin. i am sure they have made the mistakes the first time and would let you know some important stuff.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
83jimmy, you wouldn't happen to own the bright orange rig parked in front of 1224 would you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so far the biggest thing i dont understand is the crossover steering. alot of the suspension parts i can fab at my work, like shackles and brackets and stuff. if i knew more about the crossover steering i could probably make some of that to. i mean this is a dd but i like to go wheelin alot. i mean i go beat the crap out of it now and it is stock with 31's. at my work we hae the best machine shop in the marine corps.well thanks if you guys hae anything else to add let me know and i will make sure to let yall know how it turns out when i start doing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have one more question about this swap. why do you have to go to crossover steering. because when you put a regular 4inch on you dont have to. this is my first time with this swap and i am curious about it.

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
The reason is it moves the axle forward 2" which makes the drag link shorter than it already is and it will cause the steering to work well in one direction and only turn the tires about half or less of the normal radius. Stock push pull is marginal at best with a 4" lift when used for anthing other than pavement pounding. 52" swap makes it way worse. Trust me we tried with Dougk20's truck to make it work and it wasn't even close.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah, I thought I could get away with it for a while :darn:

I tried everything to get it to work only to end up with the list above.

Like I said, it's fun & I'd do it again without hesitation. But if you want 52's, you gotta go all the way :shame:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
57"?
Ford springs?
I thought Chevy ran a 52 or 56, least that what was asked when I had my bourbon, and was shopping for lift kits.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
they do. I stuffed 57" springs in the front of my bronco is all. I just like razzing twistedjack that my unit is 5 inches longer than his

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well i am think iam going to tackle this , does anybody have some springs for sale that are relatively cheap. thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts