Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case some of you in the valley haven't seen the smoke, the Middleton High School is on fire. So far the news says half of the school has burned. It started a little after 7am. Not sure how it started yet. A real bummer for our little town.:(

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Hopefully everyone got out allright.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I saw that on the news. It is sad to see all of the things like trophies and other irreplaceables gone. I know at first the students are like Whoohoo no school. And then when it sinks in they get bummed because they think about how much of their life was in that school.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I feel for the teachers that have been there for 20+ years that have all of their personal items lost. And for the seniors who are supposed to graduate in a few months now dont have a school.

It was pretty eerie to see that much black smoke over Middleton.

No fire sprinker system. I thought a public school like that no matter the age was supposed to meet current fire safety code??:confused:

·
Registered
346 Posts
I feel for the teachers that have been there for 20+ years that have all of their personal items lost. And for the seniors who are supposed to graduate in a few months now dont have a school.

It was pretty eerie to see that much black smoke over Middleton.

No fire sprinker system. I thought a public school like that no matter the age was supposed to meet current fire safety code??:confused:
No they have Grand Father clauses Tony. You would be amazed how many don't have sprinkler sytems. Their main saftey net is Alarm and Evacuation systems that are regulated and tested monthly no exceptions. That is why everyone usually gets out OK, but it ends up a total loss. If you remember the Meridian Middle School fire turned out the same way. Lucky for them it was an out building. Middletown didn't fair as well.
If they do additions or even a peaked roof it would have to have sprinklers put in. Hillside has them in the attic because they peaked the roof, but the rest of the building doesn't. Smoke detectors are in every room though and pull stations in every hallway end and out building. Of course fire extinguishers everywhere.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
What a sad day!:( Just watching the news on 24/7, and at 2:00, 70% of the school is a complete loss. And, the fire is still burning. Also, as for the sprinklers, the state fire marshall said whether or not sprinklers are installed depends on what type of building, occupancy rating, use, etc. He said the even some new buildings don't have sprinklers. "It's a political call" he was quoted as saying. That's not a real comfort to those of us that have children in school. I know that it'll be a while before that community is back to normal. A guy at my work had just a part of his house burn, and it was 2 months before it was completely fixed. Kind of crappy! But the important part is no one was hurt! Best wishes to all those affected, and good luck!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I went to Middleton High School. :smokin: It was a good time. My brother taught there for quite a few years. Hate to see it happen. Very curious how it started.

Rock Monkey

·
Registered
2 Posts
when I was in school this is what we all dreamed of, but looking back now I'm glad it didn't happen...Sucks to see that destruction. Hope it wasn't some kid playing around. hope all goes well for the students and teachers.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The last I heard it started in the boiler room by the gym. Could have been any number of things in there...fuel leak, whatever. At 40 years old parts aren't what they used to be.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It's a shame to see the school officials state they didn't have the money for sprinklers. They always seem to have money for sports, field trips, etc. I'm not against those things but it seems like readin' ritin' and 'rithmatic as well as the safety and security of the students should be addressed first.
Glad no one was hurt.

77fixer was there trying to put it out, he and his fellow firefighters are risking their lives to try to protect others. Sure hope they don't find out it was an arson started by some kid who didn't want to take a test that day!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
It's a shame to see the school officials state they didn't have the money for sprinklers. They always seem to have money for sports, field trips, etc. I'm not against those things but it seems like readin' ritin' and 'rithmatic as well as the safety and security of the students should be addressed first.
Glad no one was hurt. quote]

I fully agree with this comment. I am sure this will become the best ammo the school board needs and those who cry for more money instead of cutting back. I hope they don't blame the legislatures for not appropriating enough money, or something like that. I have seen them use these types of events for their own purposes. I am curious to see what happens. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can say that again!:cool:

Can't wait for 50!! Wohooo!

:rotfl: If I remember right, :rotfl:, I turn 60 in June. Man that happened fast. I hope the next 60 go slower.

Schools have a hard time of it. They have to decide between books, computers, better pay for the teachers, updating heating/AC systems (and so on) or sprinklers for 40 year old gyms.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Being a teacher I can tell you that schools are really strapped for funding right now. It isn't only books, computers and supplies but increases things like gas for buses, janitorial services, power, etc... and then federal No Child Left Behind testing etc... that was left unfunded by the federal government. I really don't think sprinklers would add much to the educational value of the students. And to be quite honest with the way schools are built it really isn't a safety issue for students and staff not having. Yes, it probably would have saved some of the material things but isn't that what insurance is for. And looking at history, very few school buildings ever burn.

I hate talking about teacher's pay and that is always a hot topic. Lots of teacher's whine about not having enough money. Some teachers are some of the highest paid people in their communities. It all depends upon what you are comparing it to and what side of the fence you are on. I'm almost 36 years old I have my masters and I'm going to make about decent money (I'll qualify as middle class) this year if we ever get our contract settled. I've been doing this for 15 years. I will never get a raise other than a cost of living adjustment for the rest of my career. That is a hard pill to swallow. In the corporate world I'd just be getting started, I'd have years to reach my maximum income. I've been teaching in Idaho for 10 years and we've had 3 cost of living adjustments. The highest was 2%. What a lot of folks don't realize is that 2% isn't straight across the board for all teachers. It is at the low end of the salary schedule and the seasoned teachers get much less. Right now I'm having a hard time thinking about doing this for another 20 years in Idaho. I don't think I will be able to afford to live in the future because everything is going up. I love my job most of the time and I enjoy working with the kids, but I have bills to pay too. To finish my MA I took out a loan for 33,000. I started adding up all this schooling I've done to get this job and I'm in my education just over 100,000. The return isn't too good. Anyway, I'm not complaining I chose to do this. I just had to comment as I know teacher's salaries are going to come up.

What is sad is this is going to ignite the legislature into doing some action. And if school districts are going to have to put in sprinklers it is going to take away from something else.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My stepdad was a high school teacher. Like you Eric, he went on to further his education and got his Doctors degree but stayed in education until he retired. I understand how hard it is for a family of four or five to make it on teachers pay. These days it seems like it could be even harder because of the lack of funding that used to be given to schools. Hot topic these days.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Being a teacher I can tell you that schools are really strapped for funding right now. It isn't only books, computers and supplies but increases things like gas for buses, janitorial services, power, etc... and then federal No Child Left Behind testing etc... that was left unfunded by the federal government. I really don't think sprinklers would add much to the educational value of the students. And to be quite honest with the way schools are built it really isn't a safety issue for students and staff not having. Yes, it probably would have saved some of the material things but isn't that what insurance is for. And looking at history, very few school buildings ever burn.

I hate talking about teacher's pay and that is always a hot topic. Lots of teacher's whine about not having enough money. Some teachers are some of the highest paid people in their communities. It all depends upon what you are comparing it to and what side of the fence you are on. I'm almost 36 years old I have my masters and I'm going to make about decent money (I'll qualify as middle class) this year if we ever get our contract settled. I've been doing this for 15 years. I will never get a raise other than a cost of living adjustment for the rest of my career. That is a hard pill to swallow. In the corporate world I'd just be getting started, I'd have years to reach my maximum income. I've been teaching in Idaho for 10 years and we've had 3 cost of living adjustments. The highest was 2%. What a lot of folks don't realize is that 2% isn't straight across the board for all teachers. It is at the low end of the salary schedule and the seasoned teachers get much less. Right now I'm having a hard time thinking about doing this for another 20 years in Idaho. I don't think I will be able to afford to live in the future because everything is going up. I love my job most of the time and I enjoy working with the kids, but I have bills to pay too. To finish my MA I took out a loan for 33,000. I started adding up all this schooling I've done to get this job and I'm in my education just over 100,000. The return isn't too good. Anyway, I'm not complaining I chose to do this. I just had to comment as I know teacher's salaries are going to come up.

What is sad is this is going to ignite the legislature into doing some action. And if school districts are going to have to put in sprinklers it is going to take away from something else.
I didn't know you were a teacher Eric. I sit on the IEA Board of Directors. I dropped out of the Owyhee coalition when I was brought into the ESP task force and now was elected as ESP at Large. Actually we had a meeting all day today at the IEA. We raised $500 just with our board members today for the School and are starting an IEA fire fund for them also. We should be able to generate a lot of help.
See yuh !

While we are reflecting on funding issues for education here is an article to read. http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/06/iraq.cash.reut/index.html

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I didn't know you were a teacher Eric. I sit on the IEA Board of Directors. I dropped out of the Owyhee coalition when I was brought into the ESP task force and now was elected as ESP at Large. Actually we had a meeting all day today at the IEA. We raised $500 just with our board members today for the School and are starting an IEA fire fund for them also. We should be able to generate a lot of help.
See yuh !
Yep! I'm not sure what Mountain Home is doing to help. I think right now we are just trying to figure out what they actually need. I'm not sure they even know yet. It is going to be a busy weekend for them.

I really feel bad for the community. I imagine how devastated students and staff are. And when their new school is built there is always something weird about it replacing a previous school. There is a missing aura.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Glad no one was hurt.
I've heard this talked about at Middleton High every year I was there, they were almost always strapped for money to update books and such. When they'd get some extra they would spend it on the kids to give them a better education, and they did their best, this was one of the reasons Middleton has always been avid about fire drills. They had just updated all the computers and such last year, Middleton was one of the best for technology thus far. I've been there to see what it looks like aftarwords and I'll be down there with the camera today to get some pics.

The Vikings will rebuild, we always come out on top.

The really sad thing is that in the paper today they talked about something like 7% of all idaho schools having sprinklers. Hopfully this will open some eyes and fix it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts