Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know of an off-road shop in the Nampa/Caldwell/Boise area that is willing to hire a college student and teach them?

I've been hunting for a job the last four months and I've come up with next to nobody that is willing to work with a student's schedule.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
360 Posts
The best thing you can do is show them your face and ask in person. No one, I expect, would say "yeah, come on down" on an Internet page where they have no way to judge how you present yourself and have no way to ask you questions on what you know now, what your availability is, etc. Just put on something not-ragged, hit a few of the shops, and talk to them personnaly.

Remember that a "No" is not a personal insult. There's a million reasons to say no, with the primary one for most shops being that they cannot afford to take the time to teach someone, even if that someone is there for free...

And speaking of "free"...remember...if you're asking to be taught, you're getting more than you're giving. You can expect them to want you to work for free or for damn low wages. Your pay is in the tutoring. I don't think that's a bad deal, considering how much is costs to go to a reputable school. I priced WyoTech for my son (should he decide to not stick with college) and it wasn't cheap.

Gotta tell ya, though, if I had my choice between having my son go to WyoTech and having him "apprentice" under one of the guys that frequent this board who run shops, I'd put him in an apprenticeship. That'd be a Helluva lot more real-world learning than he'd ever get in a school.

-Mikey-

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
i agree, I work part time for one of the shops here in town. The amount i learn is more valuable than the money I earn. Take the time to personally visit every shop in the valley, it just might take that to get someone to teach you. This is the slow time of year for repair/custom shops. Dont set yourself on off-road shops either. There is alot to learn in any aspect of the automotive industry...repairs, wiring, design, installs, troubleshooting.

Remember we all started somewhere...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could you guys give a bit of a list of the shops in the valley?

I know of none really so a little insight would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have hired people that new nothing with the idea in mind that I could trian them to do things my way, problem is, it costs soooooo much to train someone that there needs to be a long term contract to make it worth the employers while, otherwise the employee might just cost you a fortune in training time and mistakes, and then quit for one reason or another before they are even making the shop any money:darn: ...........very frustrating!!!!!

I personally will not hire anybody else with out any fabricating skills again:deal:

if you do find someone who is willing to train you, then for hells sakes once you learn a little something don't screw them over by starting your own shop or going to work for a different shop, I hear about that happening all the time!
I'm not saying you would do this, just some concerns the guy thinking about hiring you might have.

Good luck:thumb:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not looking to screw someone over, I've got diecent welding skills and done a bit of fabricating for myself, I just don't want to go into industrial welding, (tanks, buildings and such).

I'd love to get in good with a local shop and work my way up in a business.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
grab the boise/nampa/caldwell phone book, look up auto repair, 4wheel drives, etc...anything you can think of, i'd be here half the night thinking of shops....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts