Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
u might not need to to extend ur drive line but you will need longer shocks when i did a 3" on mine the the shocks didnt even come close to reaching :thumb:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I put a 5” Skyjacker lift on my 85 and I use the stock drive line. I put a U-bolt flip kit on the rear from Rockstomper, so I was able to use the stock shocks.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Save yourself some MONEY,and DO NOT go with a pre manufactured lift.You can grab yourself at least 4" of lift and outflex any manufactured yota lift for aboot $150!!$200 smackers if you can find some used shocks and an hour or two of your time
Go check out sky-manufacturing.com site
Grab their 63" chevy hanger/shackle kit for the rear.$85 bucks
Hit a junkyard for chevy 88 and up fullsize 2 wheel drive 63" leaf packs $50 bucks to free if you hit a 4x4shop and scrounge their pile of stock springs (4 wheel drives will work but tend to be a bit stiffer,since they come with an over load spring,which you could remove.)
Take your stock toyota rear thats you pulled,drill you a new center pin hole an 1" back from stock,take a BMFH to open up your front hangers a touch,slam in packs,you moved your axle an inch up and BAM,your pulling min of 4" of lift and more crazy flex that that kit wouldnt even be able to touch!!!!!
Let me go see if I can grab some pics of my old 4x4 club pres's 4 runner on 35" boggers with that set up

EDIT: if you want to throw another $120 at it instead of using your stock rear leafs for the front.Buy a set of YJ rear leafs packs from summit.There some flexy muthas as well

·
Registered
530 Posts
!st twp pics are on 33"SX's,last two are on the 35" boggers

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Just a word of caution long travel usually needs assciated compononts i.e. a new front driveline although if you do this the money you save could be put towards a new long travel driveshaft I would think you may need bumpstops too. I have never done this a toy so I could be wrong but you open up a whole nother can of worms when the flex starts getting crazy. Good luck and if I were you I would go with the big flex option but save a bit more money so I could deal with problems assc. with the big flex :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'll 2nd those words of caution and add ten fold.
your stock push pull steering will suck ass OFFROAD with that much flex,and will be the limiting point,you'll need to upgrade to high steer,which Sky,Front Range,RockStomper,Allpooooo and many other companys sell ranging from 500including a IFS box,to 350-400 not on sale,or find used on pirate4x4 pretty regularly.
You'll need new shocks,and might as well crop 16 bucks at the ford dealership and get their shock towers(dont have the part number off hand but can get it)
Front Driveline lenghtning
Extended brake lines,or can save yourself some prety decent bucks by headn down to the pick and pull,and grab another stock set of brake lines of a yota,and slap them on your old brake lines(they'll thread together)
Your probably looking at this like HOLY SHIZNIIIIIIT thats some coinage.But you'll end up spending twice that to replace something that you out wheel or isnt what you wnatted from the get go..anywhooooooooo just my $0.02

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
hey dangle, how did that thing handle on the road and at high speed with a setup like that?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Rode it in MANY a time,and it handled awesome!!!He drove it TO and FROM the trail every ride,and to and from work until he got a regular DD!Handled like any other rig on boggers :thumb:
Even had the same 63"/jy combo on my 84 yota but never got to break em in,since I switched mid build for rockwells and 44" bogs
:angryfir: still kicking my ass for dumping that hog

·
Registered
781 Posts
didn't he say this was an '89??? IFS :deal: I would definatly do an S.A.S. before putting a "lift kit" in it,

$1-150 front axle
$4-500 hysteer
$1-200 new front driveline
$150 spring hanger kit

That's a $1000 at the high end + labor to install or DIY if you have the tools and skills to get it done on your own, if not, we do stiaght axle conversions, or HBRK would I'm sure, depending on who's closer for you :thumb:
Oh yeah and don't forget you will want to regear, as you will no doubt be running bigger tires with this set up :deal: :thumb:

Can't forget shocks doah $150+

·
Registered
530 Posts
doah thats twice i've put my foot in my mouth with just glancing through a post! :rotfl:
Yeah ditch that IFS crap SAS that joker,and you'll have a WAY more capable rig that you'll be happy with off road :beer:

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have 63 chevies and toy rears up front hybrid pack and am very happy with it. i run 42 iroks and a d60 up front and it does the job way better than a skyjacker kit any day.

its rides hella better too.

marlins kit is the only kit i would buy

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
We got a set of 63" chevy rear springs floating around here at the house, along with a set of 2" add-a-leafs for the 63"ers as well. its a factory 3 leaf pack, plus overload. The add-a-leaf is a 2" Rancho long leaf that is actually a replacement leaf for the cent of the 3 leaves. Anyone interested???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts