Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one on there rig and what company did you use. How was the kit was it really stiff. Is there any companies that do a soa conversion.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I used to have a Skyjacker 4" on my scout. The front springs are kind of stiff just because the Scout front springs are so short. Rears are good. There is not a company that makes a SOA conversion because the scout knuckles have to be turned when you do a soa. Otherwise....you cant steer. It isnt SUPER hard but you need to make sure its right.

Ive heard that the triangle brand lift springs are a little flexier than the skyjacker. Ive seen the kits on ebay for like 500

Good luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Skyjacker kit is the way to go for a scout. There isn't much out there for the scout guys. I ran their 4" kit for years. Not alot of sag over time but the front doesn't flex worth [email protected]#. Soa on a Scout is alot of work. The stearing angles on the rag joints need attention. Nuckles need twisted and the short front driveline is a weak link.

Its almost better to custome build a front axel and put it on some long springs or even coil overs.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
i looked up a soa conversion and found this
Anything Scout - Spring Over Axle kit Scout II (1-800-975-6118)
it is pretty pricey. what do you have on your scout. do you have a soa or do you have it stock.

I built a custom dual triangulated 4 link with coils in the front. The rear is still 4" lift springs sitting on blocks but I am planning on linking the back this winter as well. I also am running a dana 60 and 14 bolt now.

If I were going to lift a Scout again (without coils and links) I would use some longer leafs in the front. Probably some Chevy leafs and just build brackets for them. The Scout springs are only 2" wide as well so they bend fairly easy.

I ran 36" tsls on my Scout axles for years and never broke anything. As soon as I went to 38s I started breaking shafts and blowing up hubs everytime I took it out. What size tires are you planning on running?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont know what size tire i want to run yet. What size did you run when you had the 4 inch lift. Im looking at keeping it pretty basic for now then maybe in the future put a dana 60 and coils or something like that. Will longer shakles or anything like that help the flex in the front with out having to put longer leaf springs or goings to coils.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i had the 4'' skyjacker spring pretty good set up plan on trimming sheet metal to even stuff 35's and i had longer shackels. the sawzall will be your best friend !!! good luck :beer:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I dont know what size tire i want to run yet. What size did you run when you had the 4 inch lift. Im looking at keeping it pretty basic for now then maybe in the future put a dana 60 and coils or something like that. Will longer shakles or anything like that help the flex in the front with out having to put longer leaf springs or goings to coils.

I was running 36s with a lot of fender trimming. I also had long shackles. There is really not anything you can do to make those short springs flex. The longer leafs honestly inst that hard. All you need is a tape measure and a welder. Some people will say to do a shackle reversal on it. I dont agree. That makes your axle swing forward when it flexes and you will pull your driveshaft out.
Heres a pic of my Scout when it still had the leafs in front. You can see the rear flexed pretty good but the front barely moved. Those are 38s to. Even more trimming.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I still actually have my front skyjacker 4" springs if your interested. The bushings still look good. 50 bucks and there yours. I dont have the back leafs though. I bent them. let me know

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i would love to take you up on that offer but not right now i am still thinking about it i really want to get the four inch lift but i dont know yet. i might leave it close to stock for right now i was just getting some ideas. but if i do decide to go with the 4 inch lift ill talk to you. because if i do i might just do what you said with the chevy springs. with that 4 inch lift can you fight 35 with little finder trimming and still get good flex with out any rubbing.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Trying to find Chestons build thread... and I have only found IH's...
fawk it... will start a Q and A thread of my own... feel free to link any links.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Man I dont know what the problem is just get out there and start cutting and welding. I do shit they say you cant do all the time and drive it everyday wheel it on the weekend then fix it break it or change it at will. just try try agian till your happy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts