Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Never

Votes: 1 7.7%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright I figured I would have fun with this. If ya'll don't know yet I am running stock 30 spline stub shafts in the Burb. I broke one at top truck last year on the drivers side and that is it. Since then I have wheeled 2HD, Moab, Lizard Gulch 3times, two snow runs, Sand wash, fun Krawl, five mud races, Resevoir Rocks twice, and about 1000 street miles and this is all with 44 boggers and 47 LTBs. So the question is how long will they last. No money right now but I was thinking of doing it as a fundraiser for WWORs. Do you know of any other superman stub shafts?:thumb: Post up the julian date when you think it will go.:popcorn:

If you don't know what a julian date is ya ain't in the military.
http://www.fs.fed.us/raws/book/julian.shtml

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
i'm voting that your burb will blow first, or at least you'll got through another transmission :drive:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The snow isn't probably going to be so hard on them unless you spin and catch on something. Maybe you just don't have enough HP to break them?

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Put a doubler in there and see how tuff they are:deal: ..............not very:rotfl:

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the shafts held up to 2HD Meatgrinder including Extra Credit and Carnage.

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
lets swap them in my axle for a day and see how long they last:popcorn:

·
Registered
360 Posts
119...0704 GMT...but that's only if you try.

When you look at the front axle, the transfer of torque through it, and the moments of inertia, you'll find there's more to the failure points (statistically speaking) than metallurgy, heat/cryogenic treatment, and spline count. The mass and physical dimensions of the axle are important, too. For example, even though it's usually the drag strip racers who concern themselves with "axle lash", or the twisting and snap-back of an axle under load at time zero acceleration, it's a relevant factor for off-roaers, crawlers, and mudders, too. Because it's a big contributor to axle failure out on the trail, just like it is on the strip.

The long shaft in an axle is under the most load of this type, the short shaft is under less, and the stub shafts hardly have any at all because they're so short. So the .2" reduction in stub shaft diameter and the ~30% strength loss related solely to the reduced spline count in your Burb's stubs is countered by this "axle lash" and, depending on conditions, the lash wins and it's an axle shaft that fails first.

Hence my real choice, which was "When the Burb blows up." Your stubs will do just fine unless you abuse the :shocked: Bush :shocked: out of them. But, since you asked for Julian input, you got Julian input. I've been out of the military for nearly 17 years, but I do remember how to count. And that's all Julian knew how to do.

-Mikey-

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I guess you should tell all those guys that bust stub shafts that it is the least prone to breakage. I'm really surprised those shafts haven't broken yet.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
trust me or ask any one that has wheeled with me there is no reason those shafts should still be working. Also it doesn't help having a 47 inch tire that weighs up wards of 200

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
me too :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the poll is still on because I still have a Passenger side.

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Yep that looks like several of mine broken shaft takes out the hub SWEET gets expensive in a hurry. Just upgrade that junk Lehi and be done with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts