Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i adjusted my lifters to factory specs and there was still a slight noise coming from my motor.... so i went in readjusted the to 8 on the intake and 10 on the exhaust and there is still a noise from the engine could it be wrist pins it doesn't quite sound like a rod or main bearing. any advice would help

·
Registered
148 Posts
Have you looked at the timing chain? When they get loose they slap into the water jacket and can dig their way through. Pop the valve cover and look for grooves on the side by the chain. Other than that, just run it till it dies.....
Good luck

·
Registered
148 Posts
if it is the timming chain do i have to pull the head like my chiltons says?
That is the best way and just replace the head gasket at the same time and call it good. You can also pull the water pump and all of the timing off by loosening the head bolts and being very carefull to not mess up the head gasket. This is the way most people do it. I would try doing it without pulling the head unless you think you need a head gasket.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I did my timing chain last week without touching the head. It over hangs some, but the gasket on mine didn't stick to the timing cover. I think I put a little RTV up there when I reassembled. Haven't had any problems. Just don't forget about the "hidden" bolt right below the distributor gear. On mine it was in a pool of oil and nearly impossible to see if you aren't looking for it. I adjusted my rockers after doing the chain. Set to spec and it still clicks loudly. Runs good, I know they are adjusted right, so I'll leave it be.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
went by the book and it said to do it hot. the first time it was a little less that warm the second time it was at normal operating temp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts