Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I would post this on the closed forum for any input before posting on the open forum. Post up with any questions or concerns.

I will be out of town for about a month starting next week. I will try and move the rules to the main forum before then if everyone is happy with the changes to the rules. If not maybe Bad Dawg can incorporate any changes and move it to the open forum.

Thanks
Mark H

Pleasant Valley Mud-Drags
Rules and Classes 2007
General Rules:
1. NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ALLOWED IN PIT AREA.
2. All drivers in ALL classes are required to wear an approved crash helmet and safety belts.
3. Vehicles without windows must wear a full face crash helmet with eye pretection.
4. Passengers allowed in vehicle while competing. Must have approved crash helmet and safety belts. All drivers and passengers must sign a waiver before competing.
5. No children under 10 in the pit area.
6. Speed limit on the grounds and within the pit area is not to exceed 5 miles per hour. Speeding, unsafe acts while on premises, failure to comply with these rules or un-sportsman like conduct shall be grounds for disqualification.
7. No alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs shall be taken by any driver (or member of his pit crew) prior to or during competition.
Any driver (or member of his pit crew) who appear to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs at any time, will be disqualified and their entry fee shall be forfeited.
8. Any vehicle that leaves the assigned track area during the run, such as attempting to gain better traction on the side of the pit shall be DQ’d. Cresting the top of the side berms is a DQ.
9. All vehicles must come to a complete stop after their run, before proceeding to the pit area.
10. All medical bills and services arising from this event by the driver shall be the driver's responsibility alone. All drivers hereby release, waive, discharge, and covenants not to sue the promoter, participants, track owner, track operator and each of their officers and employees from liability.
11. NO CHAINS ALLOWED
12. No loose objects in vehicle while competing.
13. All classes will run twice, reversing the order & pit on the second run.
14. The quickest of both passes will count for scoring (not averaged).
15. Pit gate opens 3 hours prior to race time and will close 30 mins before race starts. Drivers' meeting will be held at approximately 15 min prior to race start time. Race start time TDA. Exact details of the race will be explained at the drivers' meeting. Everyone participating must attend the meeting. No shows will be disqualified.
16. No vehicle can be entered in the same class more than once.
17. A vehicle may be allowed a one time class requirement exception at the Tech inspectors discretion.

VEHICLE CLASS DESCRIPTION
1. Stock (S)
Class Requirements:
1. Factory stock
2. No modification
3. Pump gas for fuel only
4. Maximum tire diameter: 33" DOT or OEM stock tires
5. Race officials have final say in all class rankings.
2. Super Stock (SS)
Class Requirements:
1. NO ENGINE SWAPS
2. Aluminum manifolds, headers, carb. changes allowed.
3. Naturally aspirated, single carb., and factory fuel injection.
4. No aftermarket ignitions.
5. Lifts allowed
6. Pump gas for fuel.
7. Lights, windshield and no cut bodies must have factory bolted on doors and tailgates if so equipped. Removal of fiberglass tops OK. (If vehicle came with a windshield installed from the factory it must have a windshield installed for SS.
8. No cut tires, paddles, or tractor tires. Maximum diameter 36" DOT.
9. No aftermarket fiberglass bodies or body parts.
10. Race officials have final say in all class rankings.
3. Pro Stock (PS)
Class Requirements:
1. Any engine size, or engine swaps, but must be in stock location
Factory production engine block required.
2. Aluminum manifolds, headers, carb. changes allowed.
3. Single carb., or Factory induction system allowed.
4. No Nitrous Oxide.
5. No cut tires, paddles, or tractor tires. Maximum diameter 39.5" DOT.
6. Removal of fiberglass tops, glass and tailgates allowed.
7. Trimming allowed on fender wells for tire clearance only.
8. No race fiberglass body shells. Replacement style fiberglass body parts allowed.
9. Factory style suspensions. Lift kits allowed, straight axle swaps allowed.
10. Traction bars allowed
11. Must have factory style frame, NO after market tube chassis.
12. Topless vehicles must have roll cage.
13. Factory transfer cases
14. Must have 4 wheel brakes
15. Race officials have final say in all class rankings

4. Powder Puff (PP) Female drivers only.
Class Requirements:
1. Any vehicle that can run in the Stock, Super Stock or Pro Stock classes
5. Monster Truck (MT)
Class Requirements
1. Any DOT approved tire. No cut, paddle or tractor tires.
2. Must have a minimum tire size of 38.5"
3. Vehicle must conform to all other Pro Stock requirements.
4. Must meet all general rules.
6. Pro Truck/Super Mud Modified(PT)
Class Requirements
1. Any engine size and modification.
2. Single Plate Nitrous Oxide allowed.
3. Small under hood blower or Turbo.(Paxton or small single 4 barrel root type)
4. No Nitrous on blower motors.
5. DOT approved tires.
6. Removal of fiberglass tops, glass and tailgates allowed.
7. Trimming allowed on fender wells.
8. Replacement fiberglass bodies or body parts allowed. No race shells.
9. Traction bars allowed.
10. Must have factory style frame.
11. Topless vehicles must have roll cage and 4 point harness. Roll cage and harness strongly recommended for all others.
12. Drive line hoops on exposed drive lines strongly recommended.
13. Factory style transfer case.
14. Must have 4 wheel brakes.
15. Race officials have final say in all class rankings
7. Mud Modified (MM)
Class Requirements
1. Any engine and modification.
2. Engine cannot be more than 4" behind the back side of the front axle tube.
3. Naturally aspirated or factory fuel injection.
4. No Nitrous Oxide.
5. No cut tires, paddles, or tractor tires. Maximum diameter 44" DOT.
6. Fiberglass bodies and parts allowed must “look” recognizable.
7. Body may be gutted but must still “Look” recognizable, no narrowed race tubs.
8. Must have factory style frame, No after market frames. Mods okay
9. Factory transfer case.
10. Must have roll cage and minimum 4 point harness.
11. Must have 4 wheel brakes.
12. See safety rules below.
13. Race officials have final say in all class rankings
8. Pro Mud (PM)
Class Requirements
1. Any engine and modifications
2. No Blowers
3. Can run Alcohol and injection systems
4. Can run Nitrous Oxide
5. Must be rubber tires.
6. Must have a working tether switch
7. See safety rules below.
8. Race officials have final say in all class rankings

Safety Rules pertaining to Mud-Modified and Pro-Mud:
1. Must have U-joint shields on all U-joints and one drive line loop centered on drive shafts 24" or less. On drive shafts longer
than 24" in length, you will need a minimum of two drive line loops.
2. Open topped vehicles must have a minimum of a 6 point cage. Structurally altered cabs must have a minimum of a 6-point
cage(Structurally altered meaning: cutting or weakening cab from OEM standard). Unaltered cabs OK but recommended at
least a 4-point cage. All main support bars with welded joints above shoulder height must be gusseted to strengthen joints.
3. Standard transmissions must have "scatter shield bell housing". Automatics must have tranny shield or blanket.
4. Must have an easily accessible fire extinguisher.
5. Must have a minimum of a 4-point harness.
6. Must have driver accessible power shut off switch.
7. Must have well marked easily accessible master shut off switch.
8. Must have a firewall separating driver from engine.
9. Pro-Mud must have at least a single layer fire suit and approved safety neck ring. Also they must have fire proof gloves,
shoes and head sock.
10. Mud Modified must have at least a single layer fire suit and approved safety neck ring.
11. Pro Mud must have a working tether switch.
Run order: Pit grooming at intermission and before 2nd Pro-mud pass.
1st heat: 2nd heat:
Pro-Mud Pro-Truck/Super Mud Mod
Monster Truck Monster Truck
Pro Stock Pro Stock
Mud-Modified Mud Modified
Super stock Super Stock
Stock Stock
Powder Puff Powder Puff
Pro-Truck/SuperMud Mod Pro-Mud

Attachments

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
See my thoughts in RED

Thought I would post this on the closed forum for any input before posting on the open forum. Post up with any questions or concerns.

I will be out of town for about a month starting next week. I will try and move the rules to the main forum before then if everyone is happy with the changes to the rules. If not maybe Bad Dawg can incorporate any changes and move it to the open forum.

Thanks
Mark H

Pleasant Valley Mud-Drags
Rules and Classes 2007
General Rules:
5. No unsupervised children under 10 in the pit area. Seems that a lot of people bring young children with them.

VEHICLE CLASS DESCRIPTION

1. Stock (S)
Class Requirements:
1. Factory stock
2. No modification
3. Pump gas for fuel only
4. Maximum tire diameter: 33" DOT or OEM stock tires

2. Super Stock (SS)
Class Requirements:
3. Naturally aspirated, single carb., and factory fuel injection and turbos ?
4. No aftermarket ignitions. This includes "chips" and "programers".
3. Single carb., or Factory induction system (and Turbos?) allowed.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
While I'm thinking about it, LT14x4chevy sent me a PM and said he and at least 50 friends with trucks plan on coming out to PV this summer from Illinois. They seem to be mostly interested in the ROCK course and sled pulls. Would be great to get them into the mud! I guess they all head someplace together during the summer, usually South but decided to come West this year. :thumb:

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
I think having the kids in the pits, but well supervised, is fine idea.

Getting the facility to a national level would just be great. With the nascar track coming, it could really explode into something even greater than it already is.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I like the 'Supervised' children addition.
The Diesel question is going to be an interesting one based on the earlier discussions at the end of last year.

I like outlinning the options allowed for Diesels.

But you mention not allowing 'chips and programers' for SS. Obvious there can be no mods for Stock class, but what mods should we allow to distinguish between SS and PS? These would be mods in addition to factory installed equipment. Hard to up a truck based on factory equipment.

What mods are out there for Diesels that we might encounter at the track?

Just brainstorming here....

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
well bigger injectors would be about the same as carb changes
turbo back exhaust (downpipe is restrictive) would be about the same as headers or so

the bad thing is you can program an extra 200hp out of a deisel without any visable modifications, but to use that power the turbo downpipe upgrade is needed to prevent overheating the turbo. that factor might limit some of the sneakinyness.

just ideas

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I think the minimum tire size for MT should be 39, at 38.5 it allows for an overlap with PS, hopefully if they are going to race they will choose between MT and PS.

Also what about propane? I know I am turning the Burb into propane but it offers no real advantages? I also know of some other people running propane.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
No make it the next size bigger. Not leaving the overlap.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Other than the bigger exhaust, down pipes and programmers I'm not sure what other "upgrades" can be done to a diesel truck, other than the same suspension changes allowed for the gassers. From what I have heard and my experiance, the single, biggest change that affects the diesels is the programmers, which can add big HP gains. I guess you are right Mark, for SS the programmers could be allowed. I guess a gasser could achieve the HP gains by a serious engine build.

The diesels are difficult to figure out how to class them, but we can't ignore them. We really should try to come up at least an attempt to make it fair.

At first I thought there should be a clear break in tire sizes between PS and MT. But then I wondered about those at the edge of PS who might want to jump up into MT. Why not? The only difference between the two classes is tire size right now. Why did we create the MT class anyway? If we opened up the PS class to let the BIG tire guys run does that put the other PS rigs at a disadvantage? At PV the pits aren't deep enough to give the BIG tires any advantage (?). Lehi, you have run both size tires, could you tell any difference in the MT class?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On the tire size, I was just trying to return the sizes to what they were at Mountain HOme. I don't have any problem swaping the max and min between PS and MT. Stopping PS at 38.5 and starting MT at 39 would offer a clear break between the classes.

Other than being an 'aftermarket' injection, I don't see where Propane would be considered an unfair advantage. Its more of a stock type injection than a preformance injection system, it just takes the place of a carb. I think we could add it to the PS and MT rules.

What does everyone else think.

But that opens the question of Propane injection on Diesels, for them its like using NOS and that shouldn't be allowed in the lower classes.

So, like Chevycrew said, a truck with a program update would be hard to detect, but a truck with an upgraded downpipe would be easy to see. But an upgraged downpipe by itself isn't much of a mod.

Should we say Diesels don't get any additional performance mods till PS class? I'm talking engine mods, the suspension and tires are universal.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Reading back through things, again, I read SS rules such that someone could build a stock gas engine up as big as they wanted to. That means a BB 454 could be REALLY built up and put out gobs of hp. To say someone can't do anything to a stock diesel might seem unfair. The point is that it's up to the owner to decide how serious they want to get within the class they pick (within limitations for that class). I realize the intent is to make SS just a step above Stock but we all know that we would all like to have the baddest rig within the class.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They can build a stock engine in SS as big as possible with some limitations. It needs to be an engine that came in that type of truck. ie: no big blocks in 1/2 ton 4x4 pickups and so on. A built 454 should be in a 3/4 ton long bed.

So what do we list as acceptable mods for Diesels in SS??
Maybe exhaust and cold air intakes okay for SS, but no "programers".
Then add the 'programmers and chips' for PS?

I really don't see a problem with the Diesels we have seen so far. I agree its a good idea to incorporate them into the rules to try and keep things fair, but a 6000+lb truck is going to be at a disadvantage from the start. Look at the Female racer we had last year, that truck had all the mods we have been talking about and she was pushed to PS because of tire size but raced PP if I remember right. I don't recall her dominating her classes, maybe only 1 first place finish in Weiser when the pit thinned out and got fast.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
By putting a minimum tires size in Monster truck, what does that really do?

Stock can move up if they wish, same with super stock, but pro stock cant? Why limit the lower classes out of monster truck?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well PS and MT are basically the same class. I think the min tire size was there to help even the playing field a little more with the big tired trucks. As a rule I don't think the bigger tires help the trucks go any faster on a drag pit like we have been racing on lately. SO that puts them at a disadvantage right from the start against a similar truck with smaller tires.

Lehi can probably answer this better.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
What Mark said is 100% true. If I ran 38s with my 5.13s the Burb is a ton faster. The reason MT was devolped was for the Big Tires. These trucks are the big boys just like MM & PM are the fast ones. If we were running a Mud Bog then I would agree about letting the smaller tires run, but with the drags it is a disadvantage.

On the propane you are running a stock ignition and I would class it as a carb change. While running it on a Diesel would be considered the same as NOS.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
I agree with the propane issue, and the tires in MT...

Basically MT is not a class above pro stock, just a class at the same level with bigger tires.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now that we are talking about propane injection.

What are peoples thoughts on the other aftermarket street fuel injections??
Holley,Edlebrock,Accel...I haven't seen any yet, but we might as well cover this too. Glen and I talked briefly about this, I would be inclined to allow these in PS and up. But since we already allow carb swaps in SS what would be the difference allowing propane and aftermarket street fuel injections in SS? Would that mess the class up too much allowing too many mods??

Also, I was hoping Soda Springs would have posted their new rules by now, Darrel have you heard anything about that yet?? I was hoping to compare their new rules to ours before posting our final 2007 version.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I called Brenda Erickson (contact person for Soda) and asked her if she knew if any changes were coming. She didn't know and gave me Dale Masons' phone number to call (he is one of the tech guys there in Soda). He didn't answer his phone so I left a message.

PS - Their race date is August 18th

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wasn't able to incorporate the updates into the rules and get it moved to the open forum before I head out. If Soda is close to getting their rules posted, maybe we should wait till we can look at them before posting our 2007 rules.

Not sure if I will have access to the internet, if I can I will try and check in in a week or two.

See ya in a month or so.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts