Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are couple of pics. I just got it back in my garage and I had to take some before shots. Thanks go out to Chris for pointing me toward it and to Vic for selling it.

I figured I would thank you now. Once I'm elbox deep into the rebuild I may not be so kind hearted. :thumb:

The truck is sitting on Lehi's wheels and 33s. That was a fun ride home. :drive:

I was thinking I could just add to this thread as I work on the truck. I know I'll have a zillion questions and this way everything stays in one place.

THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN!!!!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the drivetrain I am working on giving it a 5" lift, 5.29 gears, Aussie lockers front and back, and 35" tires. I am still looking to see if I can afford chromoly axles and Longfields. The Hysteer conversion will probably have to wait awhile.

I have a rear bumper picked out with corner protection. The front bumper will have to wait. Rock sliders and a full roll cage will be going in. I won't be doing much to the interior other than fixing what's broke that can't wait. The engine runs good so it will get a tuneup only and all the fluids will be changed out and that should wrap it up. I hope to have it done in time for May's trail ride.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
check out trail gear for sliders, $135 to the door:shocked:
I havent got them yet, but thats what im going with, cant build them for that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
smart choice, an 85 is a great project to build. Are you keeping the Ranger for the DD?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Ron_Egress said:
The Hysteer conversion will probably have to wait awhile.
batter do the hi-steer before you do the shafts... with 5" lift, Trust me, you'll need it.
$349 shipped from Trail Gear.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Sweet! I like it. keep us updated becasue I want to do something similar in the future. I like that year youta, but I think I would go with a pickup base and go truggy. But basically the same thing. Looks like a nice clean runner!! Good score.

BTW: Is ther a website or some place to check out trail gear?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
swiss said:
Sweet! I like it. keep us updated becasue I want to do something similar in the future. I like that year youta, but I think I would go with a pickup base and go truggy. But basically the same thing. Looks like a nice clean runner!! Good score.

BTW: Is ther a website or some place to check out trail gear?
http://www.trail-gear.com/

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AJ Johnson said:
batter do the hi-steer before you do the shafts... with 5" lift, Trust me, you'll need it.
$349 shipped from Trail Gear.
Okay, I'm confused. I thought that to do the hi-steer I needed the IFS steering box, mounting brackets, etc? All I need is the $369 kit?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is another thing I am confused about. I can't find a lift that has everything I want. While checking out the hi-steer at Trail Gear I checked out their lifts. What do you think about them? The rear kit looks great and the front kit looks overwhelming. On the plus side the front kit comes with
Front Spring Hanger w/bolts & bushings, Front Leaf Springs w/bushings
Greasable Shackles, 2 Bilstein Shocks, 2 Shock Hoops w/Gussets
U Bolt Flip Kit, 2 Extended Front Brake Lines, High Steer Crossover Steering
Steering Stabilizer Kit, Heavy Duty IFS Mount Kit, Small Diff Armor
Gusset, Upper Axle, Knuckle Rebuild Kit, 2 Wheel Bearing Kits
2 Bumpstops, and Spring Pad.

It looks like, with this kit, I save some money on axle and knuckle rebuild kits and I just need to pick up a 86-up IFS steeering pump. It's quite a bit more than I had planned to spend on a lift, and a lot more complicated, but I haven't found any other viable choices. I want to get this right the first time.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
you can do a lift for ALOT less than what they sell.
what I'm in the process of installing on mine, is 63" rear springs from an 88+ chevy pickup, then take your rear springs and use those up front. You need an 86+ IFS steering box, hi-steer, hangers to mount your springs..
There is a thread on Pirate that has real good info on building toys.
CLICKY
Before you go out and buy a ton of shit, do your homework on what you want/need first, so you have a better understanding on what you can accomplish with the skill level you have.
read, read, read. Building a toy is cheaper than building most rigs, but it does still cost money. If you are good with wrenches, you can save yourself alot of money by making things and doing it yourself, rather than buying bolt in stuff.
this guy has a ton of info about building toys without all the BS that is on pirate.CLICKY

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I feel a headache coming on. :(

I cannot reuse any of my leaf springs, they're all flat or drooping. I had thought about replacement leaf springs. I found some with 4" lift for about $500 (all 4). I wasn't going to use them because I needed the parts to correct the steering, sway bar stuff, etc. I think the Hi-steer kit will cover that part right? I would just need brake lines, drag links (whatever they are), and sway bar extensions. Would this be a viable alternative? I just don't like any of the kits I've seen so far, except for the Trail Gear kit. It is pricey, but very complete.

So, any suggestions? I have a spreadsheet set up for planning this build and I am constantly adjusting to keep it within budget. I am anxious to start working on it though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
unless this is going to be your daily driver I would just remove the sway bar, as for high steer you do need the 86+ power steering box, but all the hi steer kits I have seen (marlin, sky, allpro, trailgear) include the pitman arm, tie rod, drag link and crossover arms...that runs about $400 not including the power steering box..or if you want to lift it now with out buying the hi steer kit you could get the adjustable draglink from http://www.4wheelparts.com for $77, I even have one that if I can find one of the ends to it you can have it for free. as for longfields, I just carry another set of stock bierfields in my tool box, they only cost me $25 off of ebay and I would do the bierfield eliminator kit (that replaces the bierfield all togather with a dana 44 type axle and u-joint) the Birfield Eliminator Kit runs about $640 and the longfield kit runs $635 from www.marlincrawler.com. Becareful when you buy your springs as well since most of the toyota aftermarket company springs req cutting and welding on the rear spring hangers to run their rear springs as the are longer than stock. If you need any help just P.M. me I have built several toyotas and I live here in Mountain home

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info. This will not be a daily driver so I think I will remove the sway bar. I will need to drive it to the trails so hopefully it won't sway too much.
It looks like I am set for steering, I get the hi-steer and the IFS pump & bracket and I am good to go.
I'll go looking for springs again. I lost track of where I found them the other day.
Thanks for the offer, I'm sure I'll be taking you up on that.
I am learning about my truck, but I had months and months to learn about the Ranger. It will just take time to get caught up.

1 - 20 of 285 Posts