Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hear the gov-loc referred to as a gov-bomb, but it seems to be in the smaller axles. With a 14b gov-loc in rear, and an eventual no-slip in front, wth 35" tires, am I just waiting for a grenade in the rear?

Any comments on the utility of a posi rear/locked front? I will probably never try to go stair-stepping with most of you, LWB '70 truck, will probably never go over 4-6" lift.

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
That all depends on what you are using it for. I know a lot of trucks that have them and they lasted for years and others well........ The problem with the gov-loc when it "locks up" it is violent so with lots of traction on one tire and it locks up it will cause the "gov-bom" to explode. If you are just doing easy trail riding, your average hunting or camping trips should be fine. If you like high rpm shifts on the street, rock crawling, or hard use in the mud then it will fail you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if I have to punch it to get thru mud, when the front (future) locked axle grabs solid dirt, I should back off the throttle so when the rear hits traction, I dont bang it? Would an eaton do me a better job? I figure 90% of off-road use will be on the logging/mining roads in Boise county. O-county trips will be rare. On the street, other than trying to get onto Fairview or state street in rush hour, I won't be trying to drag race.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts