Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've made up my mind to get OBA.
I found the VIAIR 450C with 100% duty cycle, and the 400C, 33% duty cycle. In the specs, the 400C has a higher CFM @ 90psi.
Which is more important? 100% duty cycle, or more CFM?
I would probably want a tank, but would I need one with a 100% duty cycle unit?
I don't have an ARB locker yet, but eventuallyI will. I'll mainly be using the compressor to air up tires, maybe an air mattress, and hopefully air tools.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Go with the 100% duty cycle. The compressor will run continuous if needed, the other one will stop when it heats up. Until it cools off-you have no air.
A tank is really handy, but not 100% necessary. It will really be needed if you run any air tools.
Odds are good with either of those compressors, that you will find running any air tools is going to be only for a short time. Then you wait to build air.
I find that I can run an impact for 5 lug nuts, or a stubborn pinion nut or the like, then have to wait.
Don't forget to add a blow nozzle to your OBA kit-hand for dusting off a seat, clothes, distributor cap, etc.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
If I where to re-do my setup, I'd put a small compressor like the ARB one for the lockers and get a CO2 tank for tires and running tools.

Much Faster and cheaper as well.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm currently in the market for a PUMA 12V. Seems to be the best bang for the buck.

opinions on on board air compressors? - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Here's some specs on a PUMA 12V Part # is PD-1006

* 125 PSI
* oil-Less compressor
* Pressure Switch
* Compact, lightweight 28 lbs
* 3.4 cfm @ 40 psi
* 3 cfm @ 90 psi
* dimensions: 15" High, 14" Long, 5" Deep
* 100% Duty Cycle
* 30 amp draw
* 1750 rpm
* 60 dec noise level

If you can find them they run about $200. I have an ARB and had been using that to air up tires but it's SLOW and I've already had to rebuild it once. They're only 33% duty cycle. If you're doing anything but running lockers get 100% duty cycle. My ARB is now for lockers only and a backup.

Also, noticed that you said air mattress, most of these units are high pressure low volume, you'd be there forever trying to air up a mattress. If you have one of those large mattresses spend $15 and get one of those inflaters and be done in under a minute.

Greatland® 12V Electric Air Pump - Black : Target

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I where to re-do my setup, I'd put a small compressor like the ARB one for the lockers and get a CO2 tank for tires and running tools.

Much Faster and cheaper as well.
Good advice. I'll consider that. I actually spent a few minutes reading your writeup and studying the pics. Mine will also be going in a ZJ.

I'm currently in the market for a PUMA 12V. Seems to be the best bang for the buck.

* 125 PSI
* oil-Less compressor
* Pressure Switch
* 3.4 cfm @ 40 psi
* 3 cfm @ 90 psi
* 100% Duty Cycle
* 30 amp draw
* 1750 rpm
* 60 dec noise level

If you can find them they run about $200. I have an ARB and had been using that to air up tires but it's SLOW and I've already had to rebuild it once. They're only 33% duty cycle. If you're doing anything but running lockers get 100% duty cycle. My ARB is now for lockers only and a backup.

Also, noticed that you said air mattress, most of these units are high pressure low volume, you'd be there forever trying to air up a mattress. If you have one of those large mattresses spend $15 and get one of those inflaters and be done in under a minute.

Greatland® 12V Electric Air Pump - Black : Target
I've got 3 of those air pumps. Everytime I go camping I forget to bring mine, and end up buying one.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yeah those pics are a bit old. If you want to swing by sometime to take a look, let me know. Jeep hasn't moved since before Christmas :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts

* 125 PSI
* oil-Less compressor
* Pressure Switch
* 3.4 cfm @ 40 psi
* 3 cfm @ 90 psi
* 100% Duty Cycle
* 30 amp draw
* 1750 rpm
* 60 dec noise level

https://jeepequipment.com/portable-air-compressors-for-jeeps/
If the air compressor uses a cigarette lighter style plug, then amperage is typically 10 - 15 amps. If the small DC 12V air compressor has direct battery connection clamps then the maximum current draw is typically 20 to 30 amps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts