12V air compressors - Planet 4x4
Go Back   Planet 4x4 > 4x4 Discussions > General 4x4 Talk

General 4x4 Talk For all Offroaders

Old 01-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
sevenslats
Trail Runner

12V air compressors

So I've made up my mind to get OBA.
I found the VIAIR 450C with 100% duty cycle, and the 400C, 33% duty cycle. In the specs, the 400C has a higher CFM @ 90psi.
Which is more important? 100% duty cycle, or more CFM?
I would probably want a tank, but would I need one with a 100% duty cycle unit?
I don't have an ARB locker yet, but eventuallyI will. I'll mainly be using the compressor to air up tires, maybe an air mattress, and hopefully air tools.
sevenslats is offline   Reply With Quote

Join Planet4x4! It's Free!
Join Planet4x4 For Free! If this is your first visit to Planet4x4 please take the time to join us .

Registering is required for you to post on the forums. Joining us will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, search our forums, view attachments, and take advantage of the many other contents of Planet4x4.net! It's free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click here to join our community!

If you are already a member of Planet4x4, please login above to gain full access to the site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Tumbleweed
Trail Leader

Re: 12V air compressors

Go with the 100% duty cycle. The compressor will run continuous if needed, the other one will stop when it heats up. Until it cools off-you have no air.
A tank is really handy, but not 100% necessary. It will really be needed if you run any air tools.
Odds are good with either of those compressors, that you will find running any air tools is going to be only for a short time. Then you wait to build air.
I find that I can run an impact for 5 lug nuts, or a stubborn pinion nut or the like, then have to wait.
Don't forget to add a blow nozzle to your OBA kit-hand for dusting off a seat, clothes, distributor cap, etc.
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
nate
Trail Leader

If I where to re-do my setup, I'd put a small compressor like the ARB one for the lockers and get a CO2 tank for tires and running tools.

Much Faster and cheaper as well.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
swiss
Trail Runner

I'm currently in the market for a PUMA 12V. Seems to be the best bang for the buck.

opinions on on board air compressors? - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Here's some specs on a PUMA 12V Part # is PD-1006

* 125 PSI
* oil-Less compressor
* Pressure Switch
* Compact, lightweight 28 lbs
* 3.4 cfm @ 40 psi
* 3 cfm @ 90 psi
* dimensions: 15" High, 14" Long, 5" Deep
* 100% Duty Cycle
* 30 amp draw
* 1750 rpm
* 60 dec noise level

If you can find them they run about $200. I have an ARB and had been using that to air up tires but it's SLOW and I've already had to rebuild it once. They're only 33% duty cycle. If you're doing anything but running lockers get 100% duty cycle. My ARB is now for lockers only and a backup.

Also, noticed that you said air mattress, most of these units are high pressure low volume, you'd be there forever trying to air up a mattress. If you have one of those large mattresses spend $15 and get one of those inflaters and be done in under a minute.

Greatland® 12V Electric Air Pump - Black : Target

Last edited by swiss; 01-28-2008 at 07:45 PM..
swiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
sevenslats
Trail Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
If I where to re-do my setup, I'd put a small compressor like the ARB one for the lockers and get a CO2 tank for tires and running tools.

Much Faster and cheaper as well.
Good advice. I'll consider that. I actually spent a few minutes reading your writeup and studying the pics. Mine will also be going in a ZJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
I'm currently in the market for a PUMA 12V. Seems to be the best bang for the buck.

* 125 PSI
* oil-Less compressor
* Pressure Switch
* 3.4 cfm @ 40 psi
* 3 cfm @ 90 psi
* 100% Duty Cycle
* 30 amp draw
* 1750 rpm
* 60 dec noise level

If you can find them they run about $200. I have an ARB and had been using that to air up tires but it's SLOW and I've already had to rebuild it once. They're only 33% duty cycle. If you're doing anything but running lockers get 100% duty cycle. My ARB is now for lockers only and a backup.

Also, noticed that you said air mattress, most of these units are high pressure low volume, you'd be there forever trying to air up a mattress. If you have one of those large mattresses spend $15 and get one of those inflaters and be done in under a minute.

Greatland® 12V Electric Air Pump - Black : Target
I've got 3 of those air pumps. Everytime I go camping I forget to bring mine, and end up buying one.
sevenslats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
nate
Trail Leader

Yeah those pics are a bit old. If you want to swing by sometime to take a look, let me know. Jeep hasn't moved since before Christmas
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:29 AM   #7
Robertcladner
Newby

Lightbulb Re: 12V air compressors

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post

* 125 PSI
* oil-Less compressor
* Pressure Switch
* 3.4 cfm @ 40 psi
* 3 cfm @ 90 psi
* 100% Duty Cycle
* 30 amp draw
* 1750 rpm
* 60 dec noise level

https://jeepequipment.com/portable-a...ors-for-jeeps/
If the air compressor uses a cigarette lighter style plug, then amperage is typically 10 - 15 amps. If the small DC 12V air compressor has direct battery connection clamps then the maximum current draw is typically 20 to 30 amps.
Robertcladner is offline   Reply With Quote