steering setup - Planet 4x4
Go Back   Planet 4x4 > 4x4 Discussions > General 4x4 Talk

General 4x4 Talk For all Offroaders

Old 10-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
sterdest
Riding Shotgun

steering setup

I'm almost done building my dana 44 and need some info on steering setup. It's a 97 cherokee and I have a ford high pinion 44 that I narrowed to wagoneer length. I need to figure out what tie rod, tie rod ends, and draglink to use. The knuckles are chevy and the high steer arms were on them when I bought them. I would assume that chevy tie rod ends would fit but I don't know for sure. Then would I want to get a wagoneer tie rod from a junk yard? or would I just want to build one? and would it be better for this small of a vehicle to connect the draglink to the tie ord or to the high steer arm? There is plenty of room for either kind and I don't have a track bar bracket on yet so that can be moved around to acount for the geometry of track bar and draglink. I know there are several posts about saying what each kind of steering is but i don't know which one is better for a smaller vehicle. I have 35 inch pitbulls on it and will not go bigger. I also will not go up to a dana 60 with this. If there is any other info needed just ask.
sterdest is offline   Reply With Quote

Join Planet4x4! It's Free!
Join Planet4x4 For Free! If this is your first visit to Planet4x4 please take the time to join us .

Registering is required for you to post on the forums. Joining us will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, search our forums, view attachments, and take advantage of the many other contents of Planet4x4.net! It's free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click here to join our community!

If you are already a member of Planet4x4, please login above to gain full access to the site.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
RCKSQRL
Pimping the ride
911 and Rescue

Re: steering setup

sooo, whats the stock steering setup? draglink to steering arm or tie-rod? I would duplicate stock if it were me just to make sure the steering box has the correct throw.... I would also build/buy a upgraded setup instead of junkyarding it. Ruffstuff has great stuff and very reasonable prices. (all my upgraded steering linkage as well as panhard came from them as well as WOOD's which has been able to take a beating....)

Stock steering is typically rather thin wall. I know I tend to do things a little overboard but in the rocks that is best! I actually have .25 wall DOM for my tie-rod/draglink. WAY more than needed but if I slam into a rock I am confident I will be able to drive home without having to fix anything on the trail.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Skinny Pedal
Hate Machine

You live really close to Eric, BlazinZuk, get him to help!!! You are going to need to make sure you have proper draglink/tracbar geometry. TREs are easy unless you need offset ones to clear the spring perches. Can you post some pics?

Your best handling is going to be go true high steer with the drag link going to the knuckle. The Y link allows too much TREs slop and will most likely give you a dead spot in the steering.

#4502 "The Rental", Team Yukon Gear and Axle
Driver - One of 'em

Skinny Pedal
Skinny Pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
sterdest
Riding Shotgun

I actually live in Rigby, same town as Eric. I'm going to take my back axle to him to get the gears set up. It is a y link steering right now. I am thinking about getting one of the heavy duty sets so i'm not sure if i should get one that is set up for y link or do the true over the knuckle style. I do like the idea of the over the knucle but I had heard once that the steering box in cherokees is not strong enough for that...not really sure if that is true but yeah. I'm not rich enough to pay Eric for everything lol. especially after having to drop 2-500 bucks on steering stuff.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Lavacrawler
Trail Leader

Honestly I would look into ruffstuff specialties for your steering and use one of his 10% codes to drop the price some. Eric is a great resource of knowledge on this stuff. The XJ box should be plenty strong for your set up and thirty fives, but you must however put a steering box brace on it. Easy to make or cheap to buy, check rustysoffroad for that.

https://www.planet4x4.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21054

Old 10-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
sterdest
Riding Shotgun

Great thanks. I have the ruff stuff one in my cart now. I'm going to do that. I would like to find one of those 10 percent codes though :)
Old 10-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
sterdest
Riding Shotgun

Found one :) Thanks for the input. I hope this works.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
Skinny Pedal
Hate Machine

The XJ box is just a saginaw, where did you hear its not strong enough? Do it right once, skip the y link.

Driver - One of 'em

Skinny Pedal
Old 10-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
sterdest
Riding Shotgun

A post on jeep forum years ago. I already have that support bracket in place and just ordered the ruff stuff. Excited to get this thing running :)
Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
Skinny Pedal
Hate Machine

Agh, there's the problem. :)

Get 'er built and let us see!!!

Driver - One of 'em

Skinny Pedal
Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
sterdest
Riding Shotgun

Should only be a week or three and then I'll get pics up. :)
Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 AM   #12
Texan32
Wrench Bitch

remember what Josh said though. I would hold of on "building" the steering until you have all the components for the track bar and have that figured out. You need the drag link and track bar to be as parallel as possible to combat bump steer. Depending on the real-estate available, you may have to make compromises on placement to get them to play together.
Texan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #13
CBI OffRoad Fab
Site Vendor
Site Vendor

Sterdest Feel free to come by the shop and check out our prices and inventory, we can beat most prices you find online. We also stock and sell by the foot any DOM Tubing that you may need. We also stock plenty of Trail Gear parts, RuffStuff Rod Ends (3/4 flavor), D-rings, recovery gear, winches, universal tabs and brackets and, much much more! With our 5x10 foot plasma table we can surly cut you anything you may need.

You are more than welcome to come in and see what your options are and how we can help you as much or little as you need.
CBI OffRoad Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #14
sterdest
Riding Shotgun

I got my steering stuff from ruff stuff. One problem, the rod end does not fot in the Pitman arm. Do I need to get that reamed out or get a new arm?
Old 10-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
CBI OffRoad Fab
Site Vendor
Site Vendor

If you are running the 3/4 rod ends with high misalignment spacers you will need to drill out your Pittman arm to 5/8" and use a Grade 8 bolt get one that has enough smooth shank that will be just a bit shorter that the rod end and Pittman arm together so that you are not relying on the threaded part for shear strength. then cut the extra threads off. I like to use a castle nut and cotter pin to assure that the nut will not back off. Like this setup on a high steer arm.
CBI OffRoad Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
Lavacrawler
Trail Leader

If its a tie rod end set up you'll just need to get it reamed. Eric will know where ones at I'm sure. There's a few people around town with one.