Planet 4x4 - WE Rock in Vernal, Utah - 2005
Go Back   Planet 4x4

W.E. Rocks in Vernal, Utah - 2005
W.E. Rocks, Vernal Utah 2005

All W.E. Rock Pics

W.E. Rocks Home Page

I and three other buds had a chance to go judge a rock crawl event and we jumped on it. Thanks so Shane at HBRK 4x4 for hooking us up! This was a real first for us so we were not too sure what to expect. After spending a few weeks getting to know the rules in and out, we hopped in the car and made the 5.5 hour drive down there. After checking in we went out the track area to check it out. This was a first for me and it was different from what I expected. Each course was very short and they were right next to each other. There were some teams out there also mapping out their plan of action. After that we hung out and BS'd a bit with Bill Taylor from the Idaho 4x4 Association who was down there competing in his jeep. Then we drank beer until late.

Early next morning we got out there on time and we were way early. About an hour later people started showing up and getting ready. After the drivers meeting the action started. Track time on my track was 10 minutes. Most everybody who didnít roll over or break down made this. I saw more rollovers in that day then I had ever seen before. It was great! At the end of the day though I was pretty beat from running up and down the course with each competitor. Well worth it though. After it was all over, we headed back to the hotel, took a shower, ate, and drank beer until late.

Day two went much easier. The track was then run backwards and everybody was able to nail it except one team who was able to show their skill at being big babies. No rollovers this day for me but some good ones on some of the other courses.

After that we took off to get back to town. We were moving fast to make time and the only thing that slowed us down was a Scout that we saw up on some of those MAX TRAX things. There are some pics of that.

Except for a wrenched ankle (I am not a mountain goat), it was a great time. I had a real eye opener in what the sport has become and what works and what doesnít. If you ever have a chance to judge something like this, jump on it!

I didn't have a chance to take very many pics as I spent most of my time running around and looking at cones and trying not to get flattened. What I did take was between competitors and stuff.