Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

what the Heck is going on around here?

8K views 68 replies 19 participants last post by  Lumpdog 
#1 ·
I made a post about this site being pretty much a ghost town lately and asked about the new bigger and better planet....... and it gets the ax?????

WTF?????? The last time I raised my eyebrow around here changes were made..... I ask again after almost six months of no progress and this is what happens........

Awesome......

#3 ·
I didn't see anything wrong with the post. The only thing I did see is that there were no intentions of making planet bigger, just more user friendly. I haven't been posting much, but I'm very well here and watching. I have been letting the new mods do a little more and stepping back a little myself.

Personally, I'd like to know what happened with the swag.

#5 ·
Better planet = bigger planet........

Cheston, I think you are right in some ways, but I still believe it is a leadership/ownership issue more than a member issue. The question has been asked why are moderators wanting you go to other sites for 4x4 info.... why does a mod not have any clue about swag??? I don't find much fault in the mods themselves, as I have been in their shoes......

#6 · (Edited)
So the big question here is, what draws people in or what makes a better Planet? Is it tech? Builds? What?

Our local demographic consists of builds equivalent to square wheeled brontosaurus drawn wagons. I'm not saying all of them but the percentage is high. Another problem with the 4x4 crowd is we are a tiny population, everyone knows everyone's business.

Tech wise count out, on your toes, 10 people on here you would trust with answers. Now out of those ten who is active.

Am I behind on trying to do my part, sure. I also now work 18hrs a day and am busy trying to get the rig ready for Vegas to Reno. Although next week I'm flying up to have a meeting with Randy from Randy's R&P. I'll grab some shots of the place and new toys/products.

I do have to ask. Where are mods wanting members to go to other sites for info? I could totally be missing it.

#10 ·
So this site sucks because our local wheelers don't have KOH buggies and Ultra4 cars...... duly noted......

We sure have a lot of fun with our square wheels!!!!

#11 · (Edited)
Agreed. People outside Idaho may not be drawn here for the blinging builds like Pirate, And so that might not be the focus for this site.

That said, Josh my square wheeled Piece of Chit Mobbed dang near every Hammer trail out there, all week long with out Problems, while your KOH mod buggy sat in the tent with problem after problem.

So again, the focus of this site may not be cutting edge tech, but it needs to define itself and pursue that.

So it's not the newest tech, it's not the ability to use swear words when needed. Our state doesn't really have a desert racing crowd to cater to. Expeditions are low around here......So what does this site want to offer that pirate, RME, or any other forum have?

My answer would be to get involved with local clubs and State land issues. Something local people might care about and come see. That is something that others cannot provide. In the past, this site has been open for people to use, but never really gotten involved in Local affairs. Maybe giveaways for different clubs. Maybe have Mods ASSIGNED to cover an event and post a write-up and story. Maybe Be involved with the State Association and promote Planet members to take an interest in it. Maybe become involved with ITTC and have prizes for Planet members that show up. Offer something unique that will draw people in.

But inadvertantly mocking your members seems to be a step in the wrong direction. While it may drive traffic to see what all the fuss is about, (and maybe that is all you want) it is hardly enough to get people to become Premium members.

But I have met both Greg and Shane and know that they are above all that Bullbutter

#12 ·
And:

Our dinosaur wagons have developed some of the roughest trails around. Call it reckneck pride, but almost everytime I have brought a blinging buggy out on the trails over here, I have spent time waiting for them to get fixed. Now there are exceptions but the fact is the Low dolla rigs can hang just fine over here.

#15 ·
I hardly ever get vocal as most ppl that know me will attest....but I agree 100% with Chad!
I love this site for the local builds, trail runs, and events! I enjoy reading all the build threads from backyard junk to $$$. I have seen some amazing rigs built for pennies! And I have witnessed exactly what Chad has owned up to---the money machines being broke. Not always the case, and yes I have seen it the other way too.... but if you want an active forum you need to cater to your users needs and wants.
I like pirate, yes I do enjoy their national coverage and more in depth tech articles and such. BUT I frequent planet more. I know more of the members by their first name, would call many of them if I needed help or happened to be in town and wanted to say hey. Pirate on the other hand--not so many. I can also post something stupid on Planet and get the normal good natured ribbing, Pirate ummm not so much hahaha. I like the local feel and friends I have made here!
I would gladly support a forum that supported the local scene over a national one. And by support I mean help with events, money, donations, and time. Look at how many events our clubs do. Many of us would be more then willing to help Planet4x4 grow at all of these events and runs. Part of that comes with COMMUNICATION....you want a bigger Planet you say--then I ask 1--what are you trying to do to grow it and 2--what would you want from members to do it????
I have been a premium member B4 and would gladly do it again, if I saw some value to it. I don't necessarily mean a T-shirt, hat or decal (but hey thats an idea for you), it could just be seeing my money support something I believe in.
AND just so you don't think I came here to bash Planet---I am not. Here are some ideas for you!!
1--Assign local club members to document and post events and runs. The more ppl out there posting info the more traffic you will get
2--Want Premium Members--offer something in return. Decals are cheap, T-shirts can be made for under 10$. IDK but the more ways you get your name out there--the higher the chance you will have of people seeing the name and checking it out
3--Support your members....Event coming up??? Offer some Planet Swag to be given away. Maybe have a banner they can display. Again I am not the PR guy but get your name out there
4--Communicate!!! You want us to promote more of our events??? ASK somebody in the local club. Have it assigned out and maybe it will get done. We are all busy..yes but you would be surprised what you can get accomplished with a little communication

I know I personally have slacked in the posting area..but I have also haven't been wheeling enough to document it this year hahaha.
I like Planet. By far my favorite off road dedicated site. I hope to see it grow and make more friends around the area!
K rant over----finally

#16 ·
Tech wise count out, on your toes, 10 people on here you would trust with answers. Now out of those ten who is active.
Probably 8 or 9 more than I trust on Pirate...

Idaho boys are legit and most the country knows it. If I am reading that wrong from your post, I apologize.

Put 10 idahoes in 4400 kars and see what happens...

There should be a little competitive draw to post things. Have a competition for user submitted tech.
The software and logo are not the problem, its the "spiritual leaders". The congregation is leaving the church and frankly Bowman is willing to say something about it. I have been through the revival a couple times, I have to say as I get more active like the good old days, I see room for improvement and I bite my hands off to keep from raising my hand. I think I am not the only person that does not want to see this place go away. It is still part of my daily religion.

#20 ·
The software and logo are not the problem, its the "spiritual leaders". The congregation is leaving the church and frankly Bowman is willing to say something about it. ...... I think I am not the only person that does not want to see this place go away. It is still part of my daily religion.
Can I get an AMEN brother?! It seems like visiting Planet is the same as stepping into a chapel without the pastor at the pulpit being the "spiritual leader" and looking out for the welfare of the flock. Commitments were made earlier this year and yet it seems like the slide just continues from the chapel to the courtyard and what may soon be the cemetery (just keeping the metaphor going).

In the past two weeks there have been two examples of Moderators not supporting Planet or its members. One of these examples has been corrected after the fact and one is yet to play out. It feels like the pastor is gone visiting another congregation and the deacons are beating up on the people in the pews! I don't get it.

From my earliest involvement with Planet it has been the meeting place for the 4x4 community in Idaho. And on one of my first outings with a club I met the owner of the forum. During that time there were new tech articles (good tech and relevant to the community I may add) being contributed to the site and some time and effort was being put into growing the community and making it better.

Since the change in ownership I must say that I have been disappointed in what appears to be a serious lack of involvement. It seems like there is only any discussion or involvement when someone like Chris speaks up. Granted I don't know what is going on behind the curtain, but from what I see it isn’t much.

I would be willing to offer suggestions for the forum if I thought they had a chance of being acted on. I guess I've lost my faith.

Mike

#21 ·
I agree with almost everything said.

But planet was purchased to prevent its demise. This site was intended to remain intact for the users, and to be ran by the users.

Negativity towards the intellect and builds has me very upset. All mods and admin should be supportive of the site, members, and builds.

Dont refer others to another site, (post the info here!) Dont run down a quality old school build, and dont just the intellect of members without having all the facts.

This is a very close knit community, and by design is idaho based and that will limit growth. But it creates a very personal forum.

#23 ·
I will hand it to you about not back pedalling.

Why would I expect it to change? Because that keeps happening every time someone gets called out on something. Posts magically disappear. In fact thats the whole reason THIS thread was started.

edit...

when I say "someone" I mean MODs

#24 ·
I have absolutely now clue what you are talking about. Had I known the whole story I probably would have chose a little different wording.

I will stand behind what I say and do. Its the way I run things. Right or way way wrong. If I find out its wrong I'll admit it.

#25 ·
And now that I know that happened that's freaking BS. Especially with MODS.

Also, I'm not a MOD per say. I'm just here to try and help draw in some type of tech to help spark conversation. Whether its old or new. Which is what I was explaining I was behind on.

#30 ·
For those that dont know about what people are saying about a mod directing people to another site I will fill you in.

First off....Lehi is one of my favorite people so this is nothing against him. But it is what happened

In Lehi's build thread the question was asked about the buggy being up and running and where the current pics were.
Lehi posted it was running and to check Facebook for some pics.
He was then slammed with a bunch of posts about it being BS to have to go to FB for pics. Then magically all those posts were deleted and a couple pics were added.

I know the reasoning behind why he said that. He didnt have pics. Others posted some on FB and instead of having nothing to show, he sent them there to have something to see.

Nothing wrong with that but IMHO I think he should have explained the reasoning and not have deleted all the posts. There was nothing bad....just some friendly kidding around.

Posts SHOULD NOT be deleted by mods unless they contain unacceptable material or spam.

#31 ·
So I could go back and edit in unacceptable material??? :darn:

You are right, if this forum is gonna live it needs to stay on the forum. Pics, posts, builds, tear downs, "ignorant comments."

Holy crap, look at all the people viewing this thread though. That just shows how tight knit this community is. You get something like this going and poof.

#34 ·
I did not quit, I wanted change. Everyone knows I made an attempt to buy the site because I saw this coming and didn't want it to happen. Offer was shot down, and there is a huge back story to that. I will not go into it. But I do expect leadership here.

And FYI, Matt never intended to shut the site down and would have kept it had he known nothing was going to be done around here. He sold it for pennies to someone that assured him they would move forward with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.