Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

New Motor in CJ

3K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  BadDawg 
#1 ·
Well I got the engine back from the machine shop sunday evening for the flat fender ( or phlat fender as Darrell says). Spent most of yesterday afternoon putting it together and getting it in. Fired it about a hour ago.

Everything sounds good, no smoke out of the drivers side. Forgot to put the return spring on the carb when I started it so it was about half open. Scared the crap out of me. Wiped out my overhead lights and blew dust off the rafters in the shop. My hearing should return in a couple of days.

Now all I have to do is fix the brakes and do something in the front end for axle wrap and we are all set.

Not sure how accurate the computer dyno is but according to it we should be running about 775 hp with out the NOS. The machine shop owner thinks it should be more but until it hits a real dyno this is a pretty good guess.

#4 ·
Looks like I need to upgrade my english dictionary.

I think I figured out a way to put traction bars on the Jeep for the last two races until we do the 4 link in front. The spring wrap may have been part of the problem with the broken axles.

#5 ·
It's amazing how much springs can wrap up. I ran along next to the Dawg and watched while Phyllis jumped on the gas before we put the traction bars on it. WOW :shocked:! I've never looked at the front though. Maybe I should. Although I guess the front needs to be touching the ground to get axel wrap :rotfl:.

#7 · (Edited)
Specs:

All roller 496 chevy big block zero decked, Forged probe pistons with .250 dome, 108 cc aluminum heads with 2.25 intake, 1.88 exhaust,330 intake runners, custom ground nos extreme comp cam with .319 intake , .324 exhaust( advertised duration) , .256 -268 actual duration, .649 lift with 113 degree lobe seperation. The heads and the main caps are studded. Compression around 13 to 13.5 to 1. MSD ignition chipped at 7000 rpm, Blaster coil, MSD retard box. Mighty Demon Carb, Victor Jr intake, 300 hp Zex annular plate NOS. 2.25 inch to 4 inch collector tractor puller headers. Acording to comp cams computer dyno it should run 775 hp at 7000 rpm and 730 ft pounds torque at 6000 rpm.

4.88 gears D60 rear with detroit, 4.88 gears D44 front welded with moly axles, 3600 stall converter, TCI trans brake, Custom 4 link rear, wheelbase streched from 84 inches ( stock 1953 CJ-3B) to 103 inches, Currently running leaf springs in the front from the rear of a 76 CJ. The front will be converted to 4 link this winter.

We built the Jeep last winter and this spring with what we learned over the last 5 years of racing the 55 Willys truck. So far we have figured out what works for us and what doesnt. Its a pretty fun ride just a little out of control at times.

#12 ·
Ya I used to just say "it has a 3/4 race cam and one of those tall man-e-folds maybe run some av gas in it"

Sounds like it should run realy good I need to at least get up there and see it run one of these days.
O ya I am in the process of looking at 2 trucks one of which maybe finding its way to the races next year.

#17 ·
Darrell,

Your MSD box is still sitting in my office. We finally determined the problem was in the engine. I will be heading out your way first part of next week to look at a horse and can drop it off. Thanks very much for the loan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.