Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

toyota 4runners

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  m38a1 
#1 ·
Im new to off road scene and i Just bought a 92 4runner V6 auto....I would like to keep it mostly stock except maybe a small lift and widen the wheel base a little...anybody got any ideas?

#2 ·
just my .02.

if your new to offroad i would just throw on a decent set of tires. stock size or not too much bigger, something in a MT or AT and just go wheeling. get to know the vehicle. it will make you a better driver in the long run. and go with some one that is willing to go with you and show you some driving techniques.

#5 ·
aahh screw the whole keep it stock idea and throw some one tone axles under it!
:flipoff:

31x10.5 is a great tire for what most need. That's how I started and now it has one tons and 40s.:thumb:

#7 ·
Just get with the local club(s) and find some people to go with. Getting seat time, seeing other vehicles, deciding which kind of wheeling you want to pursue is going to determine what upgrades are done.

If you decide you like the rock crawling, then you will be making upgrades for that. You might be swapping the front axle, putting in a doubler, and getting body protection.
If desert/ prerunner is more your style then you will be keeping the IFS and making the suspension ready for fast desert whoops.

If you like the exploration type trips, then you will be looking for ways to increase reliabilty and long range comfort and use.

But getting out with differnt people will really determine what you like best.

#9 ·
Than I would keep it stock or basically stock. Good tires will get you a long way. There are a lot of expedition forums which may be more of your speed with LOTS of good info. I am a rockcrawler so thats my main thing I focus on. TOTALLY different from what you want and needs are different. Camping doesnt require dual lockers/cases/harnesses/cage etc.
I seem to recall that there are a lot of people who like to do more expedition type stuff in Idaho Off Road. Go to a meeting, introduce yourself and see what happens. Seat time is a biggee and going with a like minded group will be helpful.
As to upgrades I agree totally with the above. A good set of tires is awesome. The wider you go the more rolling resistance and decrease in MPG. Wider may look cool but increases scrub on turning and added stress on bearings. Just things to think about.
You have an AWESOME starting point with the 4Runner (y'all saw that coming didnt ya?!) it can amaze you in stock form. I know my pops toy took me and everyone else places no stock vehicle should have gone and never complained once.

#11 ·
I agree with RCKSQRL. Tires, and perhaps a small lift. As you get into it more you find your limitations and how you want to approach the outdoors. If you are the kind of person that likes to go for drives without anyone else then yes, and winch might help you get out of unforseen problems. And a winch bumper would certainly help in that reguard. recovery equipment is essential for trips that take you far from town and help. In my opinion, having a reliable vehicle is more than half the battle.

Where are you located at? do you already know people on this website or in local clubs? That is your best bet.

#12 ·
Cannoncrawler I'm from Nampa and no I don't know anyone here and don't belong to any clubs..I'm the type to take family way out into the woods/mountains to camp or fish.....so help might be a little far away. That's why I thought of wench and bumper. So from what I've read so far..maybe a small lift,good M/t or a/t tires? What about suspension? And if I lift it does the center of gravity change? Don't want to roll it just yet..I just got it lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.